Warning: Japaneese Gardens

Sol

there is a small songbird nesting on the first pitch of jap gardens near the base of the first wide section. i was finishing up the day on the route when the bird flew out from the crack right in my face and scared the bee-jeezus out of me. the nest is right on the key foothold inside the crack, that is usually used to get established on the layback. as of monday evening there were little hatchlings just breaking out of little blue shells. cute. i used a biner that someone had already left at the bolt and lowered as to not disturb the happy family. I would recommend that people stay away from the route until the little birdies are big enough to fly away

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes. Thanks for the warning - I was planning on getting on that route next time I'm up there. If the WCC had a kiosk at the Index parking lot, this would be a great bit of info to post on it. wink.gif

I once stuck my fingers into the little pod on city park only to have something cool, damp, and soft move against my fingers. I jerked my fingers out and a little frog jumped out and sailed down to the boulder below where he made a wet splat noise. I don't know if he survived or not.

I had almost the same experience on the Bale-Kramar route (Careno Crag) the weekend before last.

Pretty creepy to feel something wiggling around in the crack and then have it jump out at you.

Last Thursday I had the same experience on Jap Gardens. I also believe there is a nest on Godzilla.

I'm not much of a nature freak, or an animal lover, so I would say climb the route anyways, as I did, and let the bird get pissed off. Maybe even give those small little birds an an early flying exam. It would be better to have less flying rats.

On another note, the upper of the two rocks in the big upper section was really loose and I almost pulled it out. After a tug and a couple of pounds, I did secure it much better, but beware it is and I think always has been, a little loose.

Thanks Frosty. I don't know why anyone would want to fling the lil' birdies from their home shocked.gif. I was just in Index, give JG two weeks. Didn't hear of anything on Godzilla. TimL- learn to be a 'nature freak' (smiles) and recognize the consequences of your actions in the environment you so love to climb in. Peace. smile.gif

I once stuck my fingers into the little pod on city park only to have something cool, damp, and soft move against my fingers. I jerked my fingers out and a little frog jumped out and sailed down to the boulder below where he made a wet splat noise. I don't know if he survived or not.

Sounds like the same exact thing that happened during the FA of "Frogs in Space" at Mt. Erie.

JAP doesn't mean Jewish American Princess?

-sorry for the rest of you I just offended.-

Toast, isn't JAP just a lazy way to shorten the word "Japanese"? How is that a racial slur? Don't mean to be a racist as my kids are 1/2 Jap......anese-American. In fact, I was the victom myself when her parents found out she was denigrating the Japanese race by marrying a white person (horrors). I hadn't really thought about it till then, guess I'm a bit naive.

Should the route be renamed "Japanese"? I don't want to make anybody feel inferior as they invariably can outclimb the shit out of me, but what do you recommend?

Regards:

Bill

Toast, isn't JAP just a lazy way to shorten the word "Japanese"? How is that a racial slur?

Yeah, the route's name is Japanese Gardens and was named by Dave Page who had the FA. I suppose there are enough lazy fucks out there calling it Jap Gardens that the rest of you don't know any better.

If you don't think Jap is a racial slur, maybe you ought to ask your in-laws what they were called in the 1940's, whether all of their possessions were sold off at pennies on the dollar, whether they were hauled away into wartime prison camps in the middle of the desert, whether they found "No Japs Welcome" signs painted all over the city of Seattle when they came back after the war. I don't think they'll like hearing the word Jap, but I suspect they'll appreciate your interest in asking what they went through.

Lame moderation, Peter.

I'm sorry that it is inconvenient for you to acknowledge that the common abbreviation of Japanese Gardens is offensive. I'm disappointed in you.

Squid , I merely asked that this conversation should continue in another forum. I never said anything that could be remotely concieved as denying that Toast was honestly offended. Better spend a few days at Sylvan working on your reading skills.

Love,

PP bigdrink.gif

Last Thursday I had the same experience on Jap Gardens. I also believe there is a nest on Godzilla.

I'm not much of a nature freak, or an animal lover, so I would say climb the route anyways, as I did, and let the bird get pissed off. Maybe even give those small little birds an an early flying exam. It would be better to have less flying rats.

Dude, hardcore, whatever.........

Fling no birds, por favor

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but Jap is a not so nice racial slur. I only say this because I'm of Japanese descent, and I feel an obligation to educate folks rather than simply turn a blind eye and see it go on hellno3d.gif

are you kidding me? i didn't spell out japanese for a couple reasons. i'm lazy, i didn't want to take the time to figure out the spelling. i geuss I figured it would be dis-respectful if i mispelled it rather than just abbreviated it. also, who the hell doesn't abbreviate long names for climbs after they've said them about 20-30 times: sag (sagittarius), ten percent (ten percent meterological vinculation), Dr. Sniff (Dr. Sniff and the Tuna Boaters), NAD (narrow arrow direct). i mean cmon i called a chunk of rock jap gardens, not a person. is someone going to complain out of respect for the disrespected and discriminated tuna boaters if i refer to the climb as merely Dr. Sniff. anyhoo, let's just be nice to the little birdies.

birds eat mosquitos and other biting insects nimwit. Even if you don't like them, try to at least have a little more enlightened self interest.

Oh, and by the way, Roger's Corner has a few interesting cautionary items pertaining to its delightfully overhanging second pitch. First of all there is a loose flake just about ready to tear off onto the belay. I breathed on it and it shivered. Second, right above that there is a #4Camalot that has broken wires and bent axle plates, but someone should spend some time and nab it. I couldn't budge it on lead. Third, yes, there is a birdsnest. It is avoidable, unless you're desperately thrashing for a good hold. It's at the top of the offwidth left of the large reacharound, if you know what I mean.

p.s. mosquitos bad, birds good. For that matter, bats rock. rockband.gif

Yah Frosty ya lazy bastard. Look what you started. It only strengthens my hypothesis that "no good deed shall go unpunished", you trying to help the little baby birds and all.

Toast, been there, done that. Pretty incredible and unbelivable: glad that it's 2005 now. Gladly share the stories with you over a campfire and a beer if you'd stop being so sensistive. There was misery and pain to go all the way around for everybody, not just the AJA - you want a rehash and a discussion of a bunch of other misery during that time period lets save that for the same campfire.

've been to a couple of 442nd reunions, Keichi (father in law) was 442nd company I, and I met a lot of good fellas at his funeral, and have been to the clubhouse in Honolulu. Those fine guys (and gals) don't carry a chip, and they have some serious stories - and neither should you.

But thats your choice, not mine. Thats my opinion and I'm done discussing it.

Nobody wanted to offend anybody, just save some little birds, and now everybody feels bad.

Regards:

Bill

racial slurs and bird lovers. as cc.com turns thumbs_up.giffruit.gif

what's next............snafflehound seduction......

certainly i hope no one harms the little birdies, but we are going to have to toss the nest when the little ones fly away, and while they are there, we will just have to climb around them.

Lame moderation, Peter.

I'm sorry that it is inconvenient for you to acknowledge that the common abbreviation of Japanese Gardens is offensive. I'm disappointed in you.

Yes, Dick is pretty quick to moderate slurs against him but is patronizing to others that may have been offended.

Lame moderation, Peter.

Yes, Dick is pretty quick to moderate slurs against him but is patronizing to others that may have been offended.

Oh TomTom you're just being silly. cantfocus.gif

THe only place I can moderate anything is in the RC forum. It's for RC discussion once people a start in with other topics I figure it's time to move the topic to spray.

Edited by Peter_Puget