• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
iain

Trango Shark

I have lost my nut tool and am about to get another. I was wondering if anyone has used the Trango Shark, and if so, if it works well for them. Can it survive bashing things? I'm usually a simpler-is-better cheapo person but this looked like a cool idea.

Looking forward to an opportunity to lose the nut tool and the knife in a single occasion? tongue.gif

drC

No, I'm looking forward to info about this product from someone who has actually used it.

I don't quite get the advantage of one of these things.

You can get very small lightweight knives that you can put in your pocket. I guess if you're wearing lycra with no pockets that shark thing might be useful?

I have lost my nut tool and am about to get another. I was wondering if anyone has used the Trango Shark, and if so, if it works well for them. Can it survive bashing things? I'm usually a simpler-is-better cheapo person but this looked like a cool idea.

I have one (gear freak) and although I love it - it's not the ultimate tool. The knife is very high quality, the nut tool is strong yet still light, but the bashing end is a little on the small side to be a hitting with a fist.

Regards;

Bill

Thanks Bill!

Chuck - yeah not sure if it is necessary but I have neither of those items right now. I would like a nut tool with a good bashing end on it though, like the metolius ones I guess.

I love my USHBA tool.

It's thin up front, and has a great bashing end at the back.

I have the USHBA too (gear freak), and it's amazingly awesome light, futhermore, it has a great end to smack with your palm, but it is flimsy and will bend easily. If it was slightly wider material and a bit stiffer, it might be the ultimate.

But it isn't.

BTW, the wisdom of Cobra commander is obvious -total agreement here with that statement.

If it was slightly wider material and a bit stiffer, it might be the ultimate.

So like made of steel then...

If you can't open a beer with ANY nut tool, you should not be allowed to have alcoholic beverages, period.

I agree! bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

If you can't open a beer with ANY nut tool, you should not be allowed to have alcoholic beverages, period.

you shouldn't even need a nut tool. a 'biner works just fine. (and i like the ushba tool! thumbs_up.gif)

You guys are reading too much titanium marketing. The USHBA is incredbly ohmygod light yet it is advertised at 45 g, to be compared with the BDEL at 44 g, or the DMM at 49 g. Really, can you tell the difference? (As far as beer goes, they all open the bottles, yes.)

drC

No, I'm looking forward to info about this product from someone who has actually used it.

How many NOLS courses should they have taken? How long should they have worked in a gear store? How hard must they lead? How many parties should they have held up on Outer Space while trying to booty a cam with the tool? laugh.gif

The cool part about the Ushba isn't the material, but the shape- you can really punch the end of this thing without trashing your hand.

The shape is better than Metolius' equivalent device.

ushbatinuttool.jpg

You guys are reading too much titanium marketing. The USHBA is incredbly ohmygod light yet it is advertised at 45 g, to be compared with the BDEL at 44 g, or the DMM at 49 g. Really, can you tell the difference? (As far as beer goes, they all open the bottles, yes.)

drC

Nothing to do with weight. rolleyes.gif It's the way it's made. It just works better

Squid, sorry, my post was an answer to billcoe saying that tool is incredibly light. I've heard great things about the bashing end of the Ushba tool too. I personnally have used a BD and now use a DMM, which is ok, though not great by any means. I bash on it with a cowbell tongue.gif

drC

You are forgiven.

That is my good deed for the day. Now I can guiltlessly be a complete asshole for the remainder of the day.

I ended up ordering one of these:

ushbanuttoolwithwiregate.jpg

I haven't seen it for retail anywhere for some reason, nor is it on Ushba's site.

BTW- Some painful hammering on my tool (not Ushba) this weekend has inspired me to doctor my shitty nut-tool. I'm thinking about getting some rubberized tool-dip for the butt of my nut tool.

Does anyone have any recommendations on materials that will give a good, cushioned surface for pounding?

Does anyone have any recommendations on materials that will give a good, cushioned surface for pounding?

[insert obvious sexual reference here]