Wind Shirts?

dberdinka

So no shit there I was sitting somewhere on Snow Creek Wall the other day in the shade. It was cold and windy and I thought....Damn I need a wind shirt.

Something simple

preferrably with a hood

light of course

abrasion resistant too

Make it cheap

and fairly water resistant.

So I look around the internet and see there are lots of windshirts out there. I hear there's some real experts on the topic around here so I thought I'd ask?

Which one should I buy?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an old Wild Things windshirt (now called the Superlight) that is the perfect windshirt, a light pullover, no pockets, no hood, light and compact enought that you will actually have it with you when you need it - just stuff it into a pocket! They also have an 'epic' windshirt with a hood, but to my mind it kind of defeats the purpose to have a full zip and a hood, just adds to much bulk for my taste. I like the clean and simple windshirt, anything more is really a jacket and just takes up to much space.

Darin, I got a good deal on a Patagonia at a liquidation sale at The House of SB a few years ago (also bought skis, bindings, mountain bike wheels, and probably a bunch of other miscellaneous). Never saw the point to windshirts before, but I wear it all the time. Venting, pockets and cut make a difference, and the hood adds a lot in marginal weather; you'll use it a lot in marginal weather, of course, just like everything else. Entirely worth the $50 I paid, and a vast improvement over plastic bags from Value Village.

I have an old Wild Things windshirt (now called the Superlight) that is the perfect windshirt, a light pullover, no pockets, no hood, light and compact enought that you will actually have it with you when you need it - just stuff it into a pocket! They also have an 'epic' windshirt with a hood, but to my mind it kind of defeats the purpose to have a full zip and a hood, just adds to much bulk for my taste. I like the clean and simple windshirt, anything more is really a jacket and just takes up to much space.

i have the wild things epic unhooded version and absolutely love it. i never go climbing without it. it has stood up to much abuse in cracks and packs fairly small. very simple and does the job. thumbs_up.gif

The signature Guy Edwards windshirt was his mid-80s BC Winter Games K-way, a little small, and worn bare chested (for maximum breatheability he always said...it definitely wasn't for picking up chicks - "nylon and sweaty skin" - yummy (not!))

He still makes me smile....thanks, Guy. bigdrink.gif