Viesturs climbs all 14 8000s

dalius

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So much hype for something that is no longer that newsworthy. First American to climb the 14... that's like being first Pole to free the Salathe.

Don't blame Ed. Blame the media for how they're portraying things. He's one of five to have done all 14 without supp O2, and that's a hell of an accomplishment.

Without bottled O2 is news worthy. Bottled O2 is aid. It is bringing a mountain down to your climbing ability (what your body can physically do). There are probably less than 100 people in the world who have REALLY climbed Everest. (guessing because it was only about 80+ by 2002)

I'm sure Ed could have climbed all 14 sooner, when it was news worthy, but he chose to do it in good style. The best style.

Hats off to you Ed!

p.s. now before I hurt someone's feelings, I'm sure 7 & 8,000 meter peaks are tough WITH bottled oxygen. I'm not saying that they are not. But it's like free climbing the Nose. You either can "climb" it or aid it. Both are forms of climbing and both can be hard but free climbing the Nose is a more pure form and is a more respectable feat.

Jedi

Without bottled O2 is news worthy. Bottled O2 is aid. It is bringing a mountain down to your climbing ability (what your body can physically do). There are probably less than 100 people in the world who have REALLY climbed Everest. (guessing because it was only about 80+ by 2002)

I'm sure Ed could have climbed all 14 sooner, when it was news worthy, but he chose to do it in good style. The best style.

Hats off to you Ed!

p.s. now before I hurt someone's feelings, I'm sure 7 & 8,000 meter peaks are tough WITH bottled oxygen. I'm not saying that they are not. But it's like free climbing the Nose. You either can "climb" it or aid it. Both are forms of climbing and both can be hard but free climbing the Nose is a more pure form and is a more respectable feat.

Jedi

And you've summited exactly how many 8k meter peaks to gain this righteous perspective? Hmmm? Zero? Crampons, down suits, ice tools, etc. are also not part of the human body, which further invalidates the remaining ascents.

NO ONE HAS SUMMITED EVEREST!!! shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Fucking amateur monday-morning armchair quarterback bullshit.

...do you think messner doesn't count because he's stopped climbing?

His climbing aside, as it is, I'd imagine he goes over large in these rooms for his refusal to honor his commitment to speak at the AAC Annual Meeting in Ouray this March past due to "political conditions" in this country.

Link for you. (Work safe.) wave.gif

Vat da hahl ees czar chasm?

sar·casm (särkzm)

n.

[Late Latin sarcasmus, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein, to bite the lips in rage, from sarx, sark-, flesh.]

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.

2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

3. The use of sarcasm.

The Dr. intends to cut and wound the Amazing Mr. Ed and victimize him as the butt of his nefarious contempt and ridicule.

GET 'ER DONE!

grin.gif