Latest Addition To The Collection

EWolfe

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mother has a very long creeping vine plant thingy coming out of a pot and strung over the couch, wall pictures, etc.. The thing is about 30 feet long and has been "in the family" since the 70's. I think it's named in the will. It's name is Fred.

BTW, Oly, don't you remember our discussion at Kurt's (or maybe that was Orianda): the Douglas-fir is not a true fir, so you're supposed to hyphenate it. I'll let it slide this time. smirk.gif

Douglas Fir Pseudotsuga menziesii

The common name comes from a Scottish botanist David Douglas and the scientific names comes from Archibald Menzies a surgeon/naturalist on Cptn. Vancouver's ship.

The tree is not a true fir which you can tell from the species name Pseudo (like/fake) tsuga (spruce)

Very cool MR.E,

Where did you get the juniper? A local resource or collector? Bonsai rockband.gif and is amazing considering the timeline of some of these trees.

Suiseki is also very amazing. I have a killer piece of Limestone from Vegas that I need to find/make a base for.

Grats and enjoy!

• 1 month later...
Douglas Fir Pseudotsuga menziesii

The common name comes from a Scottish botanist David Douglas and the scientific names comes from Archibald Menzies a surgeon/naturalist on Cptn. Vancouver's ship.

The tree is not a true fir which you can tell from the species name Pseudo (like/fake) tsuga (spruce)

right idea, but a little off.

Abies, genus, true fir

Picea, genus, spruce

Tsuga, genus, hemlock

Pseudotsuga menziesii = fake hemlock, some guys last name

not a fir, not a spruce, and close to a hemlock

Very cool MR.E,

Where did you get the juniper? A local resource or collector?

Mr E has to do SOMETHING with the vegetation he cleans out of all those cracks he bolts! Nice way to recycle those gnarly little trees.

blush.gif

Mr.E and I put up a route called "Bonzai". It features three miniature trees growing out of cracks on or near the route.

thumbs_up.gif

Very cool MR.E,

Where did you get the juniper? A local resource or collector? Bonsai rockband.gif and is amazing considering the timeline of some of these trees.

Suiseki is also very amazing. I have a killer piece of Limestone from Vegas that I need to find/make a base for.

Grats and enjoy!

I usually get them from a tree farm or nursery. I have recently found an amazing place on the olympic peninsula. rockband.gif

I really like the Suiseki as well. I have a great one that has 5 granite rocks in a shallow dish.

Good luck with the limestone! thumbs_up.gif

Bad boy, Thinker! yellaf.gif