Spray Threshold

jon

So it has become apparent recently that our poor server is having trouble handling the amount of spray. We've had a few topics die because of it and error messages gallore. I'm going to try a few things to try to lower our server load but the reality is we have three options.

1. Ban Lurkers. Means that you have to register to read which isn't a big deal.

2. Get a better server. This is a pain and costs more money and....yeah no.

3. Switch to a different message board software which we are reluctant to do.

Anyways if threads dissapear out of the blue don't throw a fit and start topics about how we are gutless and such, just accept it as a part of the technological wonder we call the internet. See a error message toss an email and we'll try to fix it.

As Rod would say, Have a nice day! [HORSECOCK]

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

banning lurkers does not seem like a good idea. I suspect it depends on your vision for this site but I'd guess that most go through a lurking stage. In other words the unability to lurk could lead to a lack of renewal.

I am still confused about what brought these threads down.

[ 10-28-2002, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: j_b ]

quote:

Originally posted by j_b:

banning lurkers does not seem like a good idea. I suspect it depends on your vision for this site but I'd guess that most go through a lurking stage. In other words the unability to lurk could lead to a lack of renewal.

No but we could ban lurkers from certain things like searching the site which is a big resource drain. Registration is so easy and anonymous there is no reason to not register even if you don't post.

quote:

I am still confused about what brought these threads down.

When the server gets overloaded processes can stall and/or die, one reason poeple get 500 error messages and such. In the case of threads, user info, and private messages being erased, it is because the process that is involved with that has either stalled or died at the point where it was appending the data.