Bush Budget

Jim

Shhh....we're going to scare the last conservative off the board dammit. Then we'll be stuck arguing about windshirts all day instead of politics.

If you're talking about me, don't worry, I've got a thicker skin that that. As for being conservative - don't mistake that for being a pro-Bush, true-believer. I may not be willing to support a guy like Kerry, but I still have problems with Bush, and our political leaders in general.

I can sum it up with one thought: in a nation with almost 300 million people, the most able, talented, hard-working, intelligent candidates that we could come up with were Dubya and Kerry? And the last time around - Dubya and Gore? Pathetic.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because this budget is a move in the right direction. Bush has overseen exorbitant spending increases. It's high time to tighten our belts. I'd like to see the cuts continue, and for the programs we have to become more efficient. Transfer payments and the social safety net needs to be given to only those who truly need it, not those who just want to suck on the teat of the nanny state. I could even support such a safety net at the federal level, but the problem is that it is extremely difficult to objectively determine "need" through a large, federal bureaucracies (which are in no way "compassionate", BTW - it's a myth to think that they are). It is better for this to be done at the state and local level, and even better through private charities. The overhead of these bureacracies is ridiculous, on top of the fact that there is little oversight w/r/t who is actually helped by them. Moreover, they benefit by keeping people ON the programs - if they don't, they've worked themselves out of a job. At least with a charity, they have to keep their books in order, and if you lose faith with one because of a scandal (i.e. American Red Cross and the 9/11 fund), you can cut off donations and go elsewhere.

Keep drinking the Koolaid KK. 1% cut in the discretionary programs matched with a much larger increase in the even more wasteful (and I'm talking merely about beauracratic inefficiency) defense spending doesn't equal a positive change, it's a turn in the "right" direction.

As for education - an educated populace is the only thing we currently have in our favor to fight off China and India. We're now flushing that down the toilet - cuts in loans, cuts in Science funding. Way to go W! Please take your diversionary jealousy about Financial Aid elsewhere KK.

I can sum it up with one thought: in a nation with almost 300 million people, the most able, talented, hard-working, intelligent candidates that we could come up with were Dubya and Kerry? And the last time around - Dubya and Gore? Pathetic.

Agreed on one point anyway.

Shhh....we're going to scare the last conservative off the board dammit. Then we'll be stuck arguing about windshirts all day instead of politics.

If you're talking about me, don't worry, I've got a thicker skin that that. As for being conservative - don't mistake that for being a pro-Bush, true-believer. I may not be willing to support a guy like Kerry, but I still have problems with Bush, and our political leaders in general.

We have some common ground here. thumbs_up.gif

1% cut in the discretionary programs matched with a much larger increase in the even more wasteful (and I'm talking merely about beauracratic inefficiency) defense spending doesn't equal a positive change, it's a turn in the "right" direction.

The overall increase in this budget is smaller than any of the previous 4. If we continue to make cuts, inefficiencies will have to be addressed at some point. Making the cuts puts pressure to do so.

Tax and spend statists just want to spend more and ignore any inefficiencies entirely. The solution is always "throw more money at the problem".

As for education - an educated populace is the only thing we currently have in our favor to fight off China and India. We're now flushing that down the toilet - cuts in loans, cuts in Science funding. Way to go W! Please take your diversionary jealousy about Financial Aid elsewhere KK.

I work in high-tech, and have advanced degrees in engineering.

My experience was (and still is) that American students on balance are more interested in being in a cushy major and partying than in studying hard in a "difficult" subject matter compared with foreign students - notably those from Asia. This trend continues today, when immigrants or foreign nationals are increasingly needed to fill tech jobs.

It has nothing to do with funding - opportunities are available at our schools as it is. American students simply refuse to take advantage of the opportunities. Foreign students, who have undergone hardship in their nation of origin, are simply willing to work harder. Give away government programs do NOT encourage the latter; they continue to breed a mentality of entitlement to hand outs and an "easy" life.

It should have been McCain vs. Dean, but Karl Rove is a Nazi bitch and the Dems are a bunch of spineless ass kissers.

It should have been McCain vs. Clinton in '96 (McCain was the best of the half dozen or so republicans in the primary), but the good-ole-boy network gave it to Dole who had "paid his dues". McCain got screwed 3 times, IMO.

But that's the point!!! The budget is not getting smaller - it's getting larger. And rather than tax according to what you're spending he's borrowing huge amounts.

Firstly, the budget can get larger without increasing the deficit when you factor in population growth, a better economy/higher GNP/efficiency improvements, and inflation.

As to your "solution" - I say cut spending, not taxes. We can not sustain the deficit - good, that puts pressure to do something. That *something* should be to cut spending NOT raise taxes.

It should have been McCain vs. Clinton in '96 (McCain was the best of the half dozen or so republicans in the primary), but the good-ole-boy network gave it to Dole who had "paid his dues". McCain got screwed 3 times, IMO.

Ok, so we agree on two things.

Now lets get back to our regularly scheduled programming where I call you names and insult you.

cut spending NOT raise taxes.

But where will emperor Georgie get the money to invade Iran, Syria, Jordan, N.Korea, and Canada?

so we just need to hold [taxes] steady and cut spending.

I partly agree. We should start by cutting spending for the Department of Offense... err... DEFENSE, and homeland security. We should increase spending on research and development of things that will allow our society to continue functioning in the future and decrease our dependence on foreign oil/food imports.

Ok, so we agree on two things.

Now lets get back to our regularly scheduled programming where I call you names and insult you.

yelrotflmao.gif

Actually, I was waiting for RuMR to jump in here and accuse me of being a butt pirate, and throwing out some other insults.

Anyway, who cares about all this politics shit. I'm really pissed off because of the shitty winter - it's got me in a bad mood. Fucking El Nino.

My experience was (and still is) that American students on balance are more interested in being in a cushy major and partying than in studying hard in a "difficult" subject matter compared with foreign students - notably those from Asia. This trend continues today, when immigrants or foreign nationals are increasingly needed to fill tech jobs.

So amazing, I really wonder why that is, I was most often the only North American born kid in many of my math and physics classes

I think its because our public schools at least here in Canada SUCK huge ass and the material we cover in grade 12 most Asian and European schools cover in grade 9

but that has nothing to do with the defecit so I will just shut up now

So amazing, I really wonder why that is, I was most often the only North American born kid in many of my math and physics classes

I think its because our public schools at least here in Canada SUCK huge ass and the material we cover in grade 12 most Asian and European schools cover in grade 9

but that has nothing to do with the defecit so I will just shut up now

Hmm. I thought it was because American born students are smart enough to realize the financial rewards for managers, marketers, and salesman (which require much less education) are far greater than the rewards for people with technical expertise. One engineers $.02

Brought to you by global warming, which won't be getting any better due to the policies of the current administration. yelrotflmao.gif

I am not convinced that this is the case as opposed to natural fluctuations in world temperatures.

However, if it IS the case, I don't think we can do anything about it other than SLOW it's progress (i.e. not halt it and not reverse it). If this is the case, we are fucked.

It has nothing to do with funding - opportunities are available at our schools as it is. American students simply refuse to take advantage of the opportunities. Foreign students, who have undergone hardship in their nation of origin, are simply willing to work harder. Give away government programs do NOT encourage the latter; they continue to breed a mentality of entitlement to hand outs and an "easy" life.

KK, sounds like you're describing GW . . .

KK, sounds like you're describing GW . . .

Or Kerry or Gore. They all have comparable GPAs from college. Bush's was higher than Kerry's, BTW.