BACK COUNTRY SKI PARTY

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My first choice would be Baker. From the overnight prking lot, we could easily drag the keg down hill into the lake basin. Steep turns in every direction, multiple slope aspects provide opportunities should the avy danger be high, and there is always powder!!

The problem is the distance away. We may have a better attendance if it's somewhere like hwy 2, or, Crystal bc. Shasta loves the snow, I can't leave her home.

I would be up for New Years, but for those that can't make it then, we should have one in Feb.

I guess the date we can figure out later once the snow begins to fall.

I have skied in that basin quite a few times and enjoyed it. It is a fun and easy tour out to the permanent snofields around Coleman Pinnacle for views, variation and less concave slopes. I have always wanted to approach Komo Kulshan that way. Anyhow, Plenty of parking at Heather Meadows, lots of squid tho. I don't know about camping in a big group, supposedly no camping allowed. We usually come in late and lay low. I wonder if Lisa is refering to the lot by the Equipment sheds. [Confused][Cool]

For early season clean skiing, the area around the Pinnacle is superb (short yo-yos tho) and the cravasses are few and small. Have never tried the arm but would love to. Has anyone gone down to White Salmon creek and up over the ridge to the Price Glacier. I tried to last spring but the route I took was too burly with lots of tree wacking and lots of fresh bear sign. [Eek!][big Grin]

Yes, I am talking about the upper lot by the equipment sheds. Blueberry shutes below Table are a favorite of mine. There is also the saddle to chain lakes, East of the saddle there is a great bowl on the other side of the peak, I forget the name.

I know there has been many slides off Shuksan arm which folks have died in. Since the new requirements of safety gear when entering the arm from the ski area have been put in place, there has been no deaths. I am not saying that particular area is any safer. The bc area I am referring to is around Table and Chain Lakes.

I have taught avy classes in that area and have skied all over, when the NE faces are unstable, you can hit the SW or, NW slopes, vise versa.

A large slide in Spring is not uncommon on any south facing aspect. Spring is just as much an unstable time as Winter can be.

Should the weekend we go be highly unstable we can tree ski,(bumper trees) or re-schedule.

I vote we have a Winter outing for powder enthusiasts and a Spring one for the celebration of Spring...yea thats it!

Ok jon, where are some skiing graemlins?? [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by Billygoat:

Has anyone gone down to White Salmon creek and up over the ridge to the Price Glacier.

I have been both skiing and climbing back there. It is easy to get to the ridge below the North Face, overlooking Price Lake, but the drop to the lake or the traverse to the glacier, is very steep--probably as steep as the North Face itself.

At last nights' pub club, some good options were raised about a ski party- A great suggestion was a spring highway 20 party down on the east side, sounds like the camping/parking/skiing are going to be right there, also the weather/daylight would be in our greater favor.

I'm still down with coming togther for some BC ski parties this winter, New Years' Eve or therabouts at Threeway Peak by Crystal, or SmithBrook road- the Baker option sounds problematic, with official "no camping" type of BS- methinks we would want a big raging fire weekend type of partying thing, with skis on!

But I'll still haul the keg anywhere you want it.

quote:

Originally posted by Beck:

At last nights' pub club, some good options were raised about a ski party- A great suggestion was a spring highway 20 party down on the east side, sounds like the camping/parking/skiing are going to be right there, also the weather/daylight would be in our greater favor.

I got that one totally covered. Cabin in Mazama, 3 double beds, big deck and lots of room for tents. Outhouse too. It helps if the snow is gone on the valley floor though.

quote:

Originally posted by Dave Schuldt:

Name the date, D. P. and we will be there. Maybe Presidents day weekend? Mazama is a 6 hour drive when HWY 20 is closed and the roads are good. I don't mind camping in the snow.

When the road opens in the spring, unless we get a couple snowmobiles to drag our asses up the road from that side. Then I'd consider mid-winter.

DP is right. Mazama is best for a Spring trip. I've been there in the winter, and if you don't have a snowmobile, it is a long way to anywhere from there. The highway usually opens sometime late April or early May, and this is supposed to be a low snow year.

At that time of year, revellers would have their choice between skiing and rock climbing.

Hey Dave - How's come you're ready to drive 6 hours to Mazama, but 5 hours to Pemberton is too far? You got something against Canada?

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

Hey Dave - How's come you're ready to drive 6 hours to Mazama, but 5 hours to Pemberton is too far? You got something against Canada?

I'm not usually willing to do the Mazama thing in winter (6 hrs), but if you make it to Pemberton in 5, you must have some kind of sports car and guaranteed clear roads! Canada ROCKS for skiing and ice climbing and beer and chicks and sea kayaking and smoking the kind and.....

[ 10-23-2002, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: David Parker ]

quote:

Originally posted by David Parker:

if you make it to Pemberton in 5, you must have some kind of sports car and guaranteed clear roads!

I've made the trip many times. If you drive at night, it is 4 1/2 hours from Seattle to Pemberton -- driving 5 miles over the speed limit (yes, that assumes decent road conditions, but the Canadians seem to be pretty good at keeping their roads in order). If you go during the daytime, it will take 6. My usual approach is to leave on Friday night and, depending on who is in the party and what the weather is like, sleep out or get a hotel room. On Sunday night, all you have to do is to eat dinner up there, so you are behind the Whistler ski traffic and too late for line-ups at the border, and it is 4 1/2 hours back to Seattle. But I say 5 hours, because the places where I usually ski are 15 or 20 miles up the road from Pemberton.

I'm telling you -- it IS the promised land.

-

[ 10-23-2002, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: mattp ]