I'm okay.

Stefan

I am okay. I don't know exactly went wrong with the rappel sling I was coming off of Mount Temple. I don't know if it broke, if it untied, if it slipped from the rock....all I know is the rappel sling failed. I have a broken ankle on the right and a talus bone fracture on the left. I have surgery next Wednesday. Later, I will try to give a detailed description of what happened if anybody is interested. But today I am online for a short period.

I am at home now watching Oprah and Jerry Springer. That Jerry Springer show is crazy! Where the hell do they get these people to come on tv?! Later dudes.

By the way, there is a 50meter 10mm rope up there at a short class 4 section below the col on the north side, a lightweight ice axe, and a pair of boots. All for the taking!

I will be online maybe this weekend....I feel very fortunate for what could have happened.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good to hear your OK, Stefan!

I suggest you read all 1029 posts of the Congressional Debate here on CC.com, MUCH better than Jerry Springer!

Cheers, here's to your recovery! [big Drink]

Maybe someone from rope-up land can go get your gear this weekend ...?

Alex

Yeah Stephan, glad to hear you are o.k. and respecting how fortunate you are. I think rappeling scares me more than anything b/c I don't feel like I am in control as much as I do going up. Anyone else feel this way? Were the slings your own or were they already in place? Standard 1 or 2'' webbing? Cordelette?

quote:

Originally posted by gapertimmy:

word stefan, glad yer alright.

ry... i'm with you, rapping scares the bejezus out of me sometimes, but then again, i am a big hairy... well you know

Yes sir, I rapped off of Monkey Face in the dark...that's was spoooooky. You couldn't even tell how fast your were going.

Stefan, Glad to hear you are Okay and made it out, look at the bright side it could have been allot worse. Did you forget to e-mail me back on that trip?? I will attempt to recover your gear for you and will contact you when I get the chance to get up there for some beta on exactly where it is. Cheers lee

I have surgery tomorrow. I will give a full detailed description of the trip report probably by this weekend with some pictures my partner took that day

As far as I know, my rope is still up there as well as a climbing axe and climbing boots. They are there for the taking....

Stefan: Glad you're okay.

Leejams, or anyone else heading up there to get Stefan's gear (and, I would expect, to give back to him): please search for Stefan's sling so he and the rest of us can have the definitive answer as far as what happened to the sling.

Heal fast, Stefan, and good luck with your surgery.

Cheers, pindude [big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by Bug:

Well blister me buttocks! That sucks. Do what the doctor says and get on some physical therapy program. You have to fight the scar tissue build up. Vitamin E and B12 will help as well as an anti-inflamatory.

Get well soon.

I'll second that recomendation of intensive and proactive physio. Three years after shattering my talus (greenstick fracture), I am still fighting the after effects of immobility; calf muscles shrink, cartiledge builds, and you get these wonderful bone-on-bone sounds after descending steep trails [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by salbrecher:

McDonalds Clerk:Would you like that regular or Goran sized?
[laf]

Göran-size burger -- a BIG burger [chubit]

Then were you to Kropp that Göran-size burger, you would bike from home to the McDonald's joint, bike through the drive-thru window, order your burger, and eat it while biking on the way back home [rockband]

Nice imagery...

Erden.

[ 10-23-2002, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: erden ]

Ah, Jordo, another talus breaker. Welcome to my world. I'm four years ahead of you. You are in the years now that I refer to as the Second Honeymoon, not too much pain, improved mobility over the first year, and maneageable pain. I got abut two years, roughly the third and fourth years, of tolerable pain.

Then the bone spurs really started to hatch, and the arthritis settled in. Now I'm in the Increasingly Crunchy Years, which involve the crunchology that you've already got some of, all kinds of funky pain, and increasing arthritis. I'm going in for my first follow-up surgery in five weeks. This is why I'm currently the most insufferable person on the planet. The pain is pretty unbearable a lot of the time. Even I can't stand hearing about it.

Take good care of that thing, and keep a close watch on its, er, deterioration. You might have to get the subtalar joint fused at some point, but that's something hopefully later in life. The bone spur surgery may be maintenance and routine over time, it will be for me.

But on to more interesting topics. I'm heading to the hospital tomorrow morning to see Stefan. We will be talking about more immediate issues, like removable casts and dealing with the affects of pain meds! [Eek!]

Stefan, you have another chance at living your dreams and to take inventory of where you are in life. Take advantage of this opportunity for the better.

Do not forget to Göran-size your dream, whatever it may be.

Welcome back from the brink.

Erden.

quote:

Originally posted by leejams:

I was just wondering if you were taken out by military heli, why wouldn't they at least grab your boots?

I think he left his boots and pack on the approach before the actual climb so his stuff was some ways away from where he was picked up. Also, he was picked up at 10:30 pm in the dark with the rescue crew going black and using night vision goggles. [Eek!]

Saw him today. Not having a great time with the after effects of the pain from surgery, but his surgeon says he will walk again. Please keep my friend Stefan in your thoughts. The next few days in particular are going to be very tough.

If anyone has retrieved any of the gear, please get in touch with me and I'll be sure the stuff gets back to Stefan and his partner.