Lithium Batteries

neswstar

I'm testing out Energizier E2 Lithium batteries. Wondering if anyone has any experience with them at elevation - in headlamp, GPS, digital or beacon? How is the staying power? Does altitude make a difference? These guys are suppose to last 7 times longer (best on market) and be great preformers in high tech gear - anybody out there put this to the test already? Hope they work - it would be nice not to have to change them out as often - and save some $$ - better for the environment too.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I used the same 3 AA E2 batteries in my BD Gemini headlamp for a Rainier climb AND a Baker climb, and they still did not go dead. The headlamp was on for 7 hours on Rainier and 4 hours on Baker. Temps on Rainer were in the low 30's, and around 0 on Baker (with windchill). I was not leading, so I used the LED bulb on my headlamp (rather than the halogen one).

As an added bonus they are 1/2 the weight of regular batteries.

The only thing to watch is that the power profile is good, good, good, good, dead!

alkalines are more like Good, pretty good, OK, not so good, dead..... gives you more warning.

I use a fresh set for "important" things. rolleyes.gif then relegate the using them up to mundane stuff. wink.gif

I used the batteries on Denali till 17K. We used it in a MP3 CD player. I went through 1 set of batteries while the other tent used about 3-4 sets. Not only do they last longer, they are lighter and work fine down to -40 degrees F. I think the standar alkaline says operating temp is 72 degrees.

I use them on all my outdoor electronic equipment.

They say lithium's don't get whacked by the cold until like -30/40 f/c...so cold and/or altitude isn't an issue. Great for lamps, players and digi's. Haven't tried the AAA's, but need to find a source. Sometimes it's hard to find the AA's...because they're behind the counter or all sold out. The lithium's are a popular item for mak'in crack.

Lithium's are expensive...so the plain'ol Costco Duracell AA's are a budget way to go for most uses, but aren't good in the cold. I've also been using the rechargable's for longer trips...and use an small inexpensive solar charger to recharge along the way (buy at boat stores, like West Marine). I figure the more I can use rechargables...the more $$ I save, and less chemicals end up in the landfill.

Anyone know of a place to deposit used alkalines and lithiums? For some reason I was under the impression...that if a place sold batteries...they had to provide a disposal means, too. Maybe Radio Shack? I've never felt too good about dropping them into the garbage...knowing they'd end up leaching out in the landfill. cry.gif

I did a little research and it looks like the lithium batteries produce inert compounds once the reaction is completed, so they are fairly safe to chuck if the battery is totally spent.

The amount of mercury in alkaline cells has dropped dramatically and many landfills that previously banned alkalines now accept them. Batteries made after 1992 (the ban on added mercury) can be disposed of in the regular trash. Mercury barred any chance of economic recycling, but now that mercury levels are required to be so low, if not zero, new recycling programs may begin to appear to take alkalines.

I know that Pro Photo Supply in NW Portland has a box by the door for used batteries.

Anyone know of a place to deposit used alkalines and lithiums? For some reason I was under the impression...that if a place sold batteries...they had to provide a disposal means, too. Maybe Radio Shack? I've never felt too good about dropping them into the garbage...knowing they'd end up leaching out in the landfill. cry.gif