weighty issue

telemarker

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About 35 pounds more than when I was a skinny sportclimber, right around 200# +/-. Only difference is strength and endurance. Oh yeah, and power. But who needs any of that, footwork is king.

Besides, now when I flail up a V4 it still feels like I'm climbing something hard even though it's not. It's all relative. Cheeseburgers are yummy!

You can be over 6 feet tall, weigh over 200 pounds and be in really good shape. Theres a difference between "fat" and "burley".

Sure. People lose fat, but gain weight all the time because they're working out, putting on muscle mass.

I've seen some consensus about weight not being a big issue when climbing, but I've climbed being over 200, and climbed at 175, and there's a very noticeable difference in my endurance and psyche. If I feel lighter, I mover easier. But where does it end? If 175 feels good, then wouldn't 165 be better? Let's hear some of you bulemic, malnourished climbers sound off.

I believe that the physics of being a fatty is that the impact force is "regulated" by the rope. A fatty endures the same force for a longer period of time and stretches the rope farther when they do fall. The pro recieves the same force (8Kn doupled over a beiner is 16Kn no matter who is generating it). That causes me to keep more mindfull of the possibility of decking due to stretch when I am running out early. Also I think that I tend to "harden" a rope quicker. Fatties that suck fall and work the rope more.
I think a better word is "mitigated". A heavier climber WILL cause a larger impact force on the anchor for a given fall distance and rope.

let's cut the bullshit, shall we? V4 is hard, except for those idiots who waste all their time bouldering.

Have we met? Because you just described me. Except for the fact that I now find V4 hard.

Klem Loskot weighs 210 pounds and boulders pretty well, oh wait, he's strong. Never mind.

Hopeless.

I am the heaviest I've ever been right now at 5'9" 155. I feel like 145 is a good climbing weight for me.

The few times I get down to 140 I can squeeze juice out of the rock and throw 8ft dynos off mono pockets. Once I get below 137 I feel drained and tired...until I drink 6 shots of espresso and eat four hostess chocolate cupcakes. Then I send all your projects, onsight free solo 5.14c and make the beanie wearin' pebble wrestling chicks ask "Sharma? Graham? Who's that?"

And let's make this quote a little more accurate shall we? Like so:

let's cut the bullshit, shall we? V14 is hard, except for me.

I am the heaviest I've ever been right now at 5'9" 155. I feel like 145 is a good climbing weight for me.

The few times I get down to 140 I can squeeze juice out of the rock and throw 8ft dynos off mono pockets. Once I get below 137 I feel drained and tired...until I drink 6 shots of espresso and eat four hostess chocolate cupcakes. Then I send all your projects, onsight free solo 5.14c and make the beanie wearin' pebble wrestling chicks ask "Sharma? Graham? Who's that?"

And let's make this quote a little more accurate shall we? Like so:

let's cut the bullshit, shall we? V14 is hard, except for me.

CLASSIC! smile.gif

Me thinks weight is only relative if you've gained a bunch more than when you were climbing harder & then it's the lack of training/climbing that allowed you to gain the weight as opposed to the actual weight itself.

Fuck it, I got no problem struggling up shit two grades easier than I used to onsight. Because I suck down cheeseburgers like Wimpy and spend most of my time kiteboarding, where extra fat on the ass helps me hold down more kite.

Not that I expect anyone to give a shit anyway.

extremely skinny guys are not very attractive - except for Distel of course! wink.gif

yellaf.gif

I don't know if I'm really that skinny. I think I'm normal. You have to remember my age as well. Most people put on pounds as they get older. I'm just a baby....

you might be wrong about me being extremely skinny, but you're 100% right on the sexy part smileysex5.gifyellaf.gif

I'm just under 6' tall and weigh 175-178 depending on diet and excercise the previous week. Weighed 145 at HS graduation. Years and gaining muscle and quitting smoking and climbing have got me where I am today. Ideal climb weight in a warm climate would be 165-170. More comfortable around here at the higher weight. I weighed in the low 170's when getting my best RP's a few years back but caught every cold that came by. I'd rather be healthy. I've never worried about weight when falling on gear. It'll hold or it won't grin.gif