How do YOU approach in winter conditions?

Chad_A

What method do you use?  

261 members have voted

1. 1. What method do you use?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so why would and add say that bindings are good for mountenering or touring but not good for AT if they are the same???

It depends on the binding you are using, and what your objectives are. Silvretta used to make some bindings (models 300 & 400 I think) that were great for approaching climbs, but you wouldn't be carving any real turns in them. I don't even think they released, and I'm not sure that the heel locked down either.

Silvretta 404's were a beefier (i.e heavier) binding meant for going downhill, but they only had rear release. You'll still see a lot of people skiing these beacuse they fit virtually any boot that will accept clip on crampons. Good for people who only want to buy one ski setup that they can use with both mountaineering and ski boots. The newer model 500 is very similar, but uses carbon rails to lighten things up.

Bindings like the various Fritschi Diamirs & Freerides, the Silvretta 555 and the Dynafits are more geared towards cranking turns, not approaching climbs. Some (most) of them are not compatible with mountaineering boots.

So, while all of the above bindings can be categorized as randonee/alpine touring/ski mountaineering, some are better for downhill skiing, and some are better for touring and/or approaches.

When I want to get turns, I use my tele gear. When I want to get to a climb, I have an old pair of Atomic Tourcaps mounted with Silvretta 404s.

Edited by PaulB

555 and the Dynafits are for people who are interested in cranking turns, not approaching climbs. Some (most) of them are not compatible with mountaineering boots.

I've not climbed in the MLT4

mlt4.gif

But that and some lightweight skis w/Dynafits would be an uberlight combo.

I have done quite a few climbs in my tele boots (T-2's) and I find them just fine for most of the standard winter climbs around here -- and they are not bad for lots of spring and summer mountaineering where I want to make a ski descent, either. They kick steps well, and hike fairly OK and, when I put Grivel Rambo crampons on them, they work fine on moderate mixed stuff and ice up to WI 4. They sure suck for rock climbing, though.

so why would and add say that bindings are good for mountenering or touring but not good for AT if they are the same???

It depends on the binding you are using, and what your objectives are. Silvretta used to make some bindings (models 300 & 400 I think) that were great for approaching climbs, but you wouldn't be carving any real turns in them. I don't even think they released, and I'm not sure that the heel locked down either.

Silvretta 404's were a beefier (i.e heavier) binding meant for going downhill, but they only had rear release. You'll still see a lot of people skiing these beacuse they fit virtually any boot that will accept clip on crampons. Good for people who only want to buy one ski setup that they can use with both mountaineering and ski boots. The newer model 500 is very similar, but uses carbon rails to lighten things up.

Bindings like the various Fritschi Diamirs & Freerides, the Silvretta 555 and the Dynafits are more geared towards cranking turns, not approaching climbs. Some (most) of them are not compatible with mountaineering boots.

So, while all of the above bindings can be categorized as randonee/alpine touring/ski mountaineering, some are better for downhill skiing, and some are better for touring and/or approaches.

When I want to get turns, I use my tele gear. When I want to get to a climb, I have an old pair of Atomic Tourcaps mounted with Silvretta 404s.

that actualy helps ALOT thank you cool.gif