PDX bar scene

layton

I'm gonna try and get out more this year.

Anyone reccomend good places to

a)get a drink

b)watch some low cover $$ music

c)club it up

specifically near Thurman St in the NW, or around 21st-23rd st area. less specifically downtown, old town, etc...

Thanks. We should have a pub club somewhere sometime.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pick up a copy of "Barfly" magazine at just about any PDX bar. Good reviews of bars/taverns/etc.

Barfly

It's been a while since I lived in PDX and I mostly hung out in SE, but I remember Berbatti's Pan as a good downtown music venue.

Drink some PBR in the Lutz! Or maybe you are too somistophomicated for that? rolleyes.gif

East side: second the Laurelthirst recommendation. Also The Basement, Twilight, Triple Nickel, Belmonts for the eye candy, Noble Rot

West Side: Berbatis, Ash Street, Capt Ankenys, Brazen Bean (to ogle the Beautiful People), blue moon.

Forgot to mention Sassys, a lovely gentlemens club on the east side.

Edited by rbw1966

Mike, the Rogue Alehouse is in your area, and IMO has the best beer in town. Also the Kingston Pub on W. Burnside has some pretty damn good biscuits n gravy.

It's also pretty hard to beat Miser Mondays at the Lucky Lab in SE...pitchers of good shizz for like $6.50 or something. And when you're in that PBR mood, the Jolly Inn *(not to be confused w/ Jolly Roger) has 32oz buckets for like $2 or something.

Shanghi tunnel, Hung Far Low, Tugboat, are all not too far away in oldtown. But for you, I think the best place is really gonna be Mary's.

Edited by willstrickland

Rose and Thistle. The scotch egg is to die for....if you don't die from eating it.

Surely you can't mean the Rose and Thistle in Eugene?

It's a brave soul that eats at that place. You should see the kitchen after closing time. I live right behind it, and

I see into the kitchen every night walking my mutt. hellno3d.gif

is how I'd describe it.

Then of course there's The Old(e?) Lompoc, which used to be a way better dive bar before they spruced it up. It used to be full of grunge head, depressed, self absorbed Gen-X types with names like "Marsh" and "Tina" that would be moping around the pool tables. The juke box then was all Soungarden, Nirvana, etc. It was great.

Ricardo, I haven't been haunting the old dives much anymore since I try to save my hard-earned scratch for actually climbing and other hobbies. Triple Nickle lost its rad juke box?

I remember listening to Sunny Day Real Estate on the box at the Vern (another hangout I bet you know). I lived around the corner from there for almost ten years. I'm practically an owner now.

Those were the dyas. I hope my lungs have recovered.

Will: the Kingston is one of the only decent bars in town where you can get fries with gravy anymore. Beesaws used to have them before they went all yuppie. That was a happening bar back in the day.

b

I've got to second the vote for Beulahland. Best jukebox I've ever seen.

If you want a real dive, you can't do better than my neighborhood bar, the Sandy Hut. Home of the famous Fatman Sandwich!

Hung Far Lo is scary, or at least it was the one and only time I wandered in there.

Ireno

I just hit up Fitger's in Duluth. They are wondering when you'll be back in town. Well maybe a reunion will have to wait til a Lucky Lab field trip or Smiff this fall. What you got planned? Should I have a Grain Belt for you? I'll be here in MN til the 12th.

If you're going to have a beer in my honor while you're sojourning in the land of 10K lakes, you better make it a Summit IPA. Or a Leinie's.

Fitger's is kinda highbrow. For you, I'd recommend the Club Saratoga.

But we better not turn this into the Duluth bar scene thread. It'd be a short conversation anyway.

Edited by Ireneo_Funes