i love slab climbing

thelawgoddess

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just drive up the canyon and look for the bolts.

Or try borrowing a book. What an idear [Wink]

Better yet is to just go to Vantage if you can't find the bolted slabs in Leavenworth. It's way better out there anyway.

[ 09-05-2002, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: flick ]

quote:

Originally posted by flick:

There are some nice slab climbs on Givler's Dome. You can see this dome from the road. Try those.

I'll second the above.

And add Nubbin Grubbin at Carino to the list of worthy lines.

FWIW, I think that Icicle "friction" is closer to small edges. Darrington and Static point have much better "pure friction". Someone mention the "Kone"? Yeah baby thats some fun!

[Wink]

Yup, the Kone is great, just did it for the first time this summer. Here's to David & Matt & anyone else involved in replacing the rusty quarters with nice fat bolts [big Drink]

Peter, the climb on Glacier Point you're thinking of is Galactic Hitchhiker. Here's a link to a topo and trip report from the second ascent: GALACTIC HITCHHIKER It really looks like a gas, but I'm not sure what the risk level is these days.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:

Mitch you are the true wanker. Gratuitously slamming Scott. What's up with that?
[Wazzup]
Check out his site. (NWOG.org)

[laf] wanker [laf] wanker [laf] wanker

Like I said: wank-teryx.

I really liked the Sabre TR. "Make sure to bring radios."

And the rating system. Its got a lot of bolts and it's easy to top-rope. I give it an "8", pee pee.

[laf] wanker [laf] wanker [laf] wanker

quote:

There is this ingenius thing called a GUIDEBOOK. Look for bolted climbs in Leavenworth and 9 times out of ten they will be slabs.

hmm, i never thought of that. [Eek!][hell no]

i have a guidebook - duh, mr. genius. [Roll Eyes] doesn't mean shit. neither "condorphamine" nor "solid gold" are in there. there's actually lots of climbs that aren't. and it's nice to know about climb at other places since l-worth isn't exactly my first choice of where to go climbing anyway. break out beyond the guidbooks, son, and you might learn a thing or two.

Everyone knows they are not in the guidebooks but the overwhelming amount of information on these climbs is out and about.

I do venture beyond guidebooks. [Wink] There are some nice slab climbs on Givler's Dome. You can see this dome from the road. Try those.

quote:

Just drive up the canyon and look for the bolts.

Or try borrowing a book. What an idear
[Wink]

Better yet is to just go to Vantage if you can't find the bolted slabs in Leavenworth. It's way better out there anyway.

God forbid she should go on a climbing message board and ask some climbers for information. [Roll Eyes] After all, this is the internet, not some vast, inexpensive way to conveniently gather information on anything one might imagine from a nearly infinite varietey of sources!

Darn the risk level is what I was wondering about. It sounds like a fun route! I say a trip next June is in order! Maybe I'll post aquery on the Supertopo site. And since we are chatting about Yosemite don't forget the Cathedral Apron. A bit steeper than the GP Apron but some good smears noentheless! Scary too!

quote:

Originally posted by Retrosaurus:

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:

Mitch you are the true wanker. Gratuitously slamming Scott. What's up with that?
[Wazzup]
Check out his site. (NWOG.org)

[laf]

wanker
[laf]
wanker
[laf]
wanker

Like I said: wank-teryx.

I really liked the Sabre TR. "Make sure to bring radios."

And the rating system. Its got a lot of bolts and it's easy to top-rope. I give it an "8", pee pee.

[laf]
wanker
[laf]
wanker
[laf]
wanker

Let the people decide for themselves!

Sabre TR

Gotta be honest - I'd love to see Cavey's Lichtenberg route done up in that format if not quite the same style. Or actually any of a dozen TRs that have appeared on this site.

I just might write up a report of Cavey's route if it doesn't rain Sunday.

PP

[ 09-06-2002, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Peter Puget ]

quote:

Originally posted by Uncle Tricky:

You love slab climbing, eh? What about dirty slab climbing in the rain on no sleep after trudging miles through the snow in tennis shoes?
[Wink]

[laf] oddly enough, i haven't been back to darrington since! i don't think i was really loving slab climbing back then ... and i still don't like it in the rain. [Wink] but one of these days i'll have to go back and give those dirty slabs another chance to prove their worthiness ...