Cam lube?

Stretch75

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pedro's Liquid X Lubricant or any other dry lubricant.

710416_9996.jpg

I suggest exercising your cams in a pot of boiling water to remove the larger dirt. Following this spray your cams with some type of cleaner: brake, carburetor, something (just don't get it on your slings). Wide off the excess cleaner, and repeat if necessary. When satisfied hang them to dry.

Once dry give them a liberal dose of lube and let them dry again before using (this is crucial they dry... if you use them "wet" the lube will collect dirt and then dry making the dirt extra hard to remove the next time.

Do this as often as necessary (if you use your cams in the winter plan on 1 every few months).

I have had only limited success cleaning my Aliens. Is there some trick to this? I stick them in soapy water and shake and activate the cams -- what else should I try?

(Off topic, but it is my impression that Metolius cams don't get bunged up as fast - do others agree?)

I would assume in using graphite spray, or anything oil-based for that matter, you have to be very careful about using it at risk of reducing a cam's effectiveness on the rock. Not to mention stray drips and sprays would have to be -thoroughly- cleaned. Or is this a moot point of you're placing effectively? Having placed active pro all of twice, I'm green on the topic.

(Off topic, but it is my impression that Metolius cams don't get bunged up as fast - do others agree?)

I agree. The Aliens, with the internal springs, seem to gunk up the fastest.

I have had success with cleaning Aliens with spray lube only. The drip-type lube doesn't seem to generate sufficient blast to clean the dirt out of the internal springs. My $.02 (again)

Graphite is a solid (powder), so I would assume that the spray is a suspension of the powder in an alcohol-based liquid, which then evaporates, leaving the powder to the work its magic. Please tell me if I'm off-base with this. Graphite lube is great precisely because it's not a liquid, and therefore the cleanest stuff to use.

Otherwise, yeah, you don't want the cams dripping wet when you place them, but otherwise it's not an issue. It depends on the rock somewhat, but mostly cams bite into the crystal texture rather than relying on absolute friction. A reasonable wipe down of the cams' toothed surface should take care of the shiz that's still present. It's more a matter of them picking up additional dirt (undermining your cleaning efforts entirely) if you don't wipe off the extra lube.