Middle Marking Ropes

chalkball

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are worried about pens damaging the fibers and affecting stregth of the rope, just take some Gore floss and sew a line of it into the sheath at the middle. Go around several times and you have something white to show you where the middle is. It is also something that you feel so when it is getting dark and you're rapping down you can be sure you found the middle when setting your raps.

Keep some of this magic stuff in your repair kit. Another benefit of Gore floss is that it is strong enough to repair things in a pinch, Sew a torn tent fly or camp chair. I've even used it to hold crampons together when a friend lost the little nut that sets the crampon length...

"Gore floss"

Where do you get something like that?

I think 'chelle is referring to "Glide" TM. It is dental floss produced by Gore (of -tex, not Al- )

It's the greatest for flossing of teeth. You won't go back to regular floss once you've tride Glide.

• 2 months later...
"Gore floss"

I think 'chelle is referring to "Glide" TM. It is dental floss produced by Gore (of -tex, not Al- )

It's the greatest for flossing of teeth. You won't go back to regular floss once you've tride Glide.

So is "Glide" dental floss the stuff you were talkign about?

I bought a rope last year that came with a little card that said Marks-a-lot brand markers were safe.

A few months ago, I talked to one of the head-honchos at BlueWater about consumers using a widely available pen to mark the center of their rope. He was adamant of NOT using a Sharpie. He did recommend the use of a Marks-A-Lot pen.

I like the idea of the sewn marker... however, tedious.

thumbs_up.gif

"Gore floss"

So is "Glide" dental floss the stuff you were talkign about?

yes glide is gore-floss. chelle has demonstrated it's effectiveness in many repair applications. it's not just good for marking your rope thumbs_up.gif

If you are worried about pens damaging the fibers and affecting stregth of the rope, just take some Gore floss and sew a line of it into the sheath at the middle. Go around several times and you have something white to show you where the middle is. It is also something that you feel so when it is getting dark and you're rapping down you can be sure you found the middle when setting your raps.

Keep some of this magic stuff in your repair kit. Another benefit of Gore floss is that it is strong enough to repair things in a pinch, Sew a torn tent fly or camp chair. I've even used it to hold crampons together when a friend lost the little nut that sets the crampon length...

I don't know about Gore floss, but I did this with waxed nylon marline and it has held up fine for almost a year now. It's easy enough to replace. It only takes a few minutes. I really like being able to feel the mark in the dark. My method is to wrap the marline several times around the rope and then make a series of longitudinal seizings using a needle to prevent the wraps from moving. This method is also useful for the ends of the rope to prevent them from unravelling.

I have used gore floss , and other flosses for years repairing shit from packs to boots. Currently the sides of my trango s's are custom re-sewn by me, with floss. I haven't done it on a rope, but I am gonna try. And if you use mint floss and it's dark you can run the rope along your tongue as you are feeding it and know when you are in the middle.

I learned how to do that from 4 years of outdoor retail experience and 2 Nols courses.

I mark the middle of the rope with a knife. The center of the rope is bright white and is easy to see. Easy to feel also. Seriously thought, I link the idea about stiching a little colored thread in the middle.

A couple of my ropes are marked in the middle with a sharpie. I'll post when it breaks and I deck.

Haven't clipped a bolt since 96 so I've forgotten what it's like to fall. I try not to "use" my ropes much;-)