Proof that Seattlites are Communists.

Bronco

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hey!!! that's not seattle, it's the republic of fremont.

they have a troll too. what does it mean? tongue.gif

I thought you might bring that up. I have no problem with a bedtime storybook fictional character.

I do have a problem with the founder of the USSR and communism having a huge ass statue in the country that fought for some 50 years to defeat the spread of his followers. comprende?

That statue has an interesting story associated with it. Some art connoiseur, Lewis Carpenter, was travelling with his wife in Slovakia shortly after the Berlin Wall fell in 1989. This statue of Lenin had been standing in the town square and had been toppled. Some wino was living in it in a junk yard. The thing had been installed quite recently and was solid bronze. He asked what the price was and I guess they only wanted the equivalent of the melt down value of the bronze, $13,000. So they guy buys it for reasons only he could know, and spends a fortune to ship it to Issaquah where he installed it in front of his home.

It was so heavy that it sunk into the ground and fell over at one point. I saw this thing in the guy's yard near High Point Way or the Preston exit, I've forgotten which.

So this guy dies suddenly in 1994 and his wife is stuck with this thing she didn't want, so where else would she go, but the People's Republic of Fremont. They agreed to "temporarily" display the thing so the widow could try to sell it. It actually had a "For Sale" sign on it at one time. Well, to my knowledge nobody actually wanted it, but the good people of Fremont got used to it, and so it remains. I guess you can still buy it if you want for $150,000.

Story

Article

szyjakowski- since i have not seen it live (not much of munch's stuff in general), i didn't know until i googled it: 91X74cm. i'd like very much to see the painting someday.

bronco: i think having the statue there can be seen in many different ways and i don't think it implies support for the ideology. apparently the intent was purely artistic as it is quite well done. my comment about the troll was for fun; don't read anything else into it.

hey!!! that's not seattle, it's the republic of fremont.

they have a troll too. what does it mean? tongue.gif

I thought you might bring that up. I have no problem with a bedtime storybook fictional character.

I do have a problem with the founder of the USSR and communism having a huge ass statue in the country that fought for some 50 years to defeat the spread of his followers. comprende?

Come on dude, the Cold War was cool. The 70's and 80's were fun. Russian tennis playing chicks are hot. Lenin's statue is kitsch.

If it were a statue of Stalin, it would be different ...

Has Lenin lost his sting? Do we no longer fear his ideas? Certainly he is known more for his ideology than his deeds, unlike Stalin. Certainly, 40 years ago, his statue would be unthinkable. He is in Fremont because our system won the cold war and communism is no longer a threat to us ( or is it?).

Maybe in 50 years, someone will find a bronze statue of Osama bin Laden in a dump and bring it home as a piece of funky art. Right now that is hard to imagine.