junior football league = mountaineers?

minx

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Minx - playing football isn't going to corrupt your son. Be thankful he's interested in that instead of other crap like sport climbing.

No kidding. Football teaches kids how to do things they are somehow not learning at home: how to be responsible, keep track of their own equipment, how to respect other players and, most importantly, how to respect adult authority figures. The sport gets plenty of negative press, mostly by pencil-necked media types who couldn't handle running sprints in high school. For most kids, however, football is a positive influence, teaching fitness, teamwork, commitment and courage. I can't say that about sport climbing.

Minx For most kids, however, football is a positive influence, teaching fitness, teamwork, commitment and courage.

I have notice that my best employees and co-workers are the ones who played organized TEAM sports in school. They know what teamwork is all about, they play fair, and they know their role versus the coach's and referee's roles. That and its always good to have a big bad football player backing you up when it comes to bar fights boxing_smiley.gif.

oh yes american football

the sport of lycra padded sumo wrestlers grabbing each others butts

its just because the average american is too slow to play a true sporting game like rugby football boxing_smiley.gif

scrum.jpg

There exists a disturbing degree of butt grabbing in that pile. yellaf.gif Mentioning rugby, my team got a little cultural training this year. A kid on my team, kind of a low-impact player, informed me that he'd spent time in England and that he had a rugby ball autographed by some rugy pro. He volunteered to bring his ball and give a lesson, and so one Friday, that's just what we did. I couldn't believe that he'd take this autographed ball (in superb condition) and allow it to roll in the mud.! The kids were impressed by his knowledge and got a kick out of trying something new. I'm pretty sure they enjoyed the change of pace from conditioning, playbook and tackling drills. The kid who shared rugby with his team became instantly popular and you could just see his confidence growing. By the end of the season, he could even tackle some of our backs.

thats some WHOLE BODY GRABBING in that "scrum" not just moon.gif grabbing

i played rugby in high school up until the point at which you had to be good to make the team cry.gif a glorified excuse to roll in the mud and trip people thumbs_up.gif

It would be interesting to compare the basic stats on professional rugby players versus the atheletes in the NFL. The rugby players are definitely good at what they do, but I wonder how they would stack up against 300 pound offensive linemen that bench 500+ and run a sub 5.0 40.

The other thing that I always here from commonwealth folk is that their sports, whether A.R. Football or Rugby, is that they are tougher because they don't wear pads. I think the first year that no one was killed playing football in the US was 1992, and I wonder how the fatality/paralysis figures stack up vis-a-vis rugby.

I always figured that the sports that require pads are the tougher ones. You see hockey players wearing pads but not figure skaters or ice-dancers. boxing_smiley.gif

It would be interesting to compare the basic stats on professional rugby players versus the atheletes in the NFL. The rugby players are definitely good at what they do, but I wonder how they would stack up against 300 pound offensive linemen that bench 500+ and run a sub 5.0 40.

The other thing that I always here from commonwealth folk is that their sports, whether A.R. Football or Rugby, is that they are tougher because they don't wear pads. I think the first year that no one was killed playing football in the US was 1992, and I wonder how the fatality/paralysis figures stack up vis-a-vis rugby.

Many have speculated that if football were played without helmets, it would virtually eliminate neck and spinal injuries.

I always figured that the sports that require pads are the tougher ones. You see hockey players wearing pads but not figure skaters or ice-dancers. boxing_smiley.gif

That logic suggests that these guys are tough as nails: Sumo-Action-white-smaller2.jpg

So are you the guy on the right or the left?
yellaf.gif

I used to teach in a middle school where once a semester, we had kind of a carnival/fun day and this "sumo suit" wrestling was one of the activities (I didn't get a chance to try but it looked kind of fun). The company we contracted with also brought an enormous, inflatable vinyl mountain with top-ropes set up. The staff monitoring this equipment were using Gri-Gri belay devices, but when an ascent was complete, they would pull the lever open and lower the climber by letting the rope slip through their gloved hands. I became aware of this when one faculty member (having been instructed by one of the crew) dropped another teacher 20 feet to the mountain's inflated apron. I corrected their technique (even though I'd never used one of those damn things) and retied their overhand knots with figure 8 knots.

Minx - playing football isn't going to corrupt your son. Be thankful he's interested in that instead of other crap like sport climbing.

No kidding. Football teaches kids how to do things they are somehow not learning at home: how to be responsible, keep track of their own equipment, how to respect other players and, most importantly, how to respect adult authority figures. The sport gets plenty of negative press, mostly by pencil-necked media types who couldn't handle running sprints in high school. For most kids, however, football is a positive influence, teaching fitness, teamwork, commitment and courage. I can't say that about sport climbing.

Pope- don't be a dick. i resent the implication of your statement. a) you have no idea what values (if any wink.gif) i'm instilling in my child. b) who said i wanted him to sport climb-- he's a boulderer!

Pope- don't be a dick. i resent the implication of your statement. a) you have no idea what values (if any wink.gif) i'm instilling in my child. b) who said i wanted him to sport climb-- he's a boulderer!

Easy there....no implication was intended. I'm simply agreeing with the statement that football won't be the worst thing that happens to your son. I don't know you and I don't know your son, but I have coached 13-year old boys (and one girl) for ten seasons, and I'm just amazed at the amount of things we find necessary to teach, things that I would assume have nothing to do with football.