Climbers Dining Out in the PNW

Dru

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

Knowing climbers who go that way take the Cook Road exit. Maybe we should start a new thread and we can slam each other over this.

I have a hazy recollection that they did something to Cook Road the last year or so that made it slower? Like add those little flower- garden roundybouts or something? Or was that some other place?

AM I LOSING MY FREAKIN' MIND?!!?? [Confused][Eek!][Confused][Razz]

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, and I must add a couple more on-topic recommendations fer eatin'.

The Squirrel Tree icon14.gif (Hwy 2) has never done me wrong, but the hours don't mesh very well with a climbing schedule.

The Darrington IGA Espresso Stand icon14.gif makes a mean brew and is oh-so convenient.

That place in Conrete with all the antique/junk everywhere is pretty friendly. Especially good for if you have kids. The place in Marblemount with the bunnies is good for kids too.

The Whitehorse Mercantile used to have some killer ice-cream cone deals, and a good view of Whitehorse. It's tough to go in there though, now that they tore down that cool little general-store building and rebuilt it in the form of a gas station that would sully a strip mall in a trailer park. icon13.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

The best place to eat on highway 20 is just west of Marblemount at the Cafe where all the rabbits are smushed on the road

Roadkill Café

Menu

You Kill It...We Grill It!

Eating is more fun when you know it was hit on the run!

ENTREES

Center Line Bovine

"Tastes real good, straight from the hood" 4.95

The Chicken

"That didn't cross the road" 3.95

Flat Cat

"Served as a shingle...or in a stack 2.95

BAG 'N GAG

Our daily take-out lunch special!

~ Anything dead...in bread ~

A TASTE OF THE WILD SIDE

Still in the hide

Chunk of Skunk 1.95

Smidgen of Pigeon 1.95

Road Toad Ala Mode 1.65

Shake 'N Bake Snake 2.25

Swirl of Squirrel 1.55

Narrow Sparrow .55

Whippoorwill on a Grill 3.30

Rigor Mortis Tortoise 6.75

CANINE CUISINE

"You'll eat like a hog...

when you taste our dog!"

Slab of Lab 2.95

Pit Bull Pot Pie 1.95

Cocker Cutlets 3.95

Shar-Pei Filet 5.95

Poodles N Noodles 5.95

Snippet of Whippet 4.50

Collie Hit by a Trolley 3.95

German Shepherd Pie 3.95

Round of Hound 4.25

GUESS THAT MESS

A Daily Special Treat

If you can guess what it is...You eat it for free!

LATE NIGHT DELIGHT

Rack of Raccoon 3.95

Smear of Deer 4.95

Awesome Possum 1.95

Cheap Sheep .43

[ 07-17-2002, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: trask ]

quote:

Originally posted by klenke:

Most climbers know not to even stop in Concrete, that gawd awful speed-trap. They'll bust your ass for going 5 over!

In fact, knowing climbers coming from the Seattle area take the Darrington cut-off. It's faster AND it avoids Concrete.

Going through Darrington cuts off 10 minutes and 10 miles than going through Cook Road to Marblemount......I do not know how many miles or time it cuts off for Concrete though.....

[ 07-17-2002, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Stefan ]

Okay, I measured it out on my Topo software:

Taking SR530:

I-5 (Arlington) to Darrington = 32 miles

Darrington to Rockport = 18 miles

TOTAL = 50 miles

Taking I-5 and SR20:

I-5 (Arlington) to Burlington = 22 miles

Burlington to Rockport = 38 miles

TOTAL = 60 miles

Based on the speed I drive, the I-5 (Arlington) to Burlington leg takes slightly more time to that of the Darrington to Rockport leg because both can be driven at 70+ mph. The Burlington to Rockport and Arlington to Darrington legs have the same general speed (and slow pokes) attributable to them, except I find I'm able to pass more on the latter. Plus, the latter is also six miles shorter. All in all, I would say going via Darrington saves me ~30 minutes round trip. And over the years that really adds up. It would be like an espresso punch card: drive the Darrington route 10 times and get a free hike. [Razz]

[ 07-17-2002, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: klenke ]

the Trailhead Cafe on the way to Index in Goldbar has got the bomb chicken-fried steak and gravy breakfast...it's all "home-made" with killer hashbrowns and thick buttery toast. that's the only thing i've ever had there, it's big -go with Bronco, he'll pay if you ropegun [chubit]

there is a killer 'gut-truck' on the way to Index that is so worth stopping for: it's on the left hand side when you're leaving Monroe headed east...on a pull-out near the Arco/AmPm gas station(the cheapest on the stretch from Seattle), set behind an espesso stand and in front of some antique/home-made ice-cream store, along with some RV's for sale...super nice people that just put up a shaded awning with picnic tables -just for you. it's bomber, go. eat. get fat.

oh yeah -the korean lady/couple in the Index store makes this awesome bread thing, it's like this juicy-braided round loaf sorta deal sprinkled with little chunks of ground beef and onions and some mushrooms and these little diced peppers and some cheese mmm cheese and some other stuff...it's only like 2 bucks, worthy to chow on in the morning when it's still warm. also; she mixes chinese hot mustard and sweet'n'sour sauce together for her eggrolls, and puts them into these nice little dipping containers to go...

wow, now i got the munchies so i'd also like to add, "STRAWBERRY MILK IS THE SHIT"

Ditto on the Mexican joint in L-worth. There's a Mexican place in Cle Elum that's pretty good, I think it's El Caporal. Ditto on Milano's in Glacier, too, plus there were some HOTTIES working there last time I ate there. The Backwoods Cafe or something like that in Darrington is decent. In Granite Falls Ike's Drive Inn and the Mexican place kitty corner from it are both good eats.

Lets not leave out Dicks for the classic after urban climbing experience. No trip to UW, Volunteer Tower, or the Fremont Troll is complete without. Last time in was in the neighboorhood I achieved my personal best since highschool: 1 delux, 2 cheese, fries and shake. I did not feel well afterwards. [chubit][chubit][chubit]

• 2 weeks later...

The Teriyaki/Curry take-out place in Twisp. Decent food, nice folks, good prices and portions--and it has character. The only place where you can buy a woodstoves, a variety of "No Trespassing" signs, birdhouses, sculptures, log furniture or have your film developed while you've waiting for your order. [laf]