Suck ass snow pack

JoshK

Yesterday I went up to the buck creek trailhead on the end of the chiwawa river road. The road is currently gated 6 miles from the end but is completely passable by car until the end. I took a mountain bike for those 6 miles...a shout out to the forest service..I really needed that extra 12 miles of bike riding yesterday. rolleyes.gif

Anyway, down I rode with skis and shit on my back. My goal was to go up buck creek, hit fortress and chiwawa and red and go out through chiwawa basin. After 7 or 8 miles of going up through the buck creek drainage (almost all of it on bare trail) I turned around. At 4600 the snow pack was pretty much all gone. From that point forward it would have been that awful trail-snow-trail-snow crap until quite a ways higher up. I was in this area around July 4th a few years back and I swear the snow pack wasn't all that much worse then. After bailing I decided I'll just go back in a month or month and a half and do that loop on foot instead.

It sucks...that ski tour should still be really good at this time of year. cry.gif

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh is softcore. A hardcore climber would have schlepped his skis over the whole traverse anyway...despite not being able to use them.

Yep, time to put the skis away. Come on. You can do it. Just open the closet and throw them in. June's almost here.

umm Dru it still is spring.

by some definitions of spring, it is still spring and will be right up until june 21.

however, midsummer eve is less than one month away, the implication of this datum is that this is early summer. arguably, one could say it is sprummer right now. what it isn't is ski season. wave.gif

Sky, I would normally agree, but man, it's slim pickings for this time of year. I was shocked to see how much had melted in the past few weeks. There is still plenty to get tho, just requires a little more effort.

Who knows, maybe I'll head back in as soon as the road opens all the way (they said they were hoping for this weekend) and give it a shot again. Since I want to do it on foot anyway, it's neat to compare it snow vs. not.

What is the definition of true joy? Having your ski tails hit the back tire of your bike!

Edited by JoshK

umm Dru it still is spring.

by some definitions of spring, it is still spring and will be right up until june 21.

however, midsummer eve is less than one month away, the implication of this datum is that this is early summer. arguably, one could say it is sprummer right now. what it isn't is ski season. wave.gif

I did the ptarmigan traverse, baker N ridge and glacier peak frostbite ridge all in june last year and all were awesome skis with minimum foot travel once you hit the start of snowline. I realize some folks don't like to ski at this time but for those of us that do, this year is much worse than normal.

I'd say this is the BEST time of year for the kinds of trips you just listed there, Josh. The higher peaks in the Cascades are much more difficult to access during the Winter, the avalanche danger is much greater, the days are shorter, and the snow is a lot less consistent. Add to that an appreciation of the fact that you can sit around at lunch time or at the campsite without freezing to death, and you've got the makings of a real skier!

LOL...no thanks. I like to drag the skis along but I have no love for skiing on firn or other such completely dirty nastinest. pitty.gif

They do work good for jumping crevasses tho. wink.gif In fact, it's a mounties approved method! hahaha.gif

Your shitty attitude is gonna bite you in the ass Dru. Due to the hot weather/lack of precip the forests in Washington (and BC I'm sure) are as dry as they normally are in mid July.

We better not hear any bitching from you when the province shuts down off road travel this summer. It'll probably happen earlier and for longer. tongue.gif

Your shitty attitude is gonna bite you in the ass Dru. Due to the hot weather/lack of precip the forests in Washington (and BC I'm sure) are as dry as they normally are in mid July.

We better not hear any bitching from you when the province shuts down off road travel this summer. It'll probably happen earlier and for longer. tongue.gif

Seriously man. Dru, if some of us still want to ski or whatever, just drop it. I'm sorry we aren't all on your set climbing season schedule. rolleyes.gif

2 words:

Three Sisters

timmy just rode 5000' of corn hahaha.gif

Way to get it man smile.gif I guess I'll be making the move to volcanoes soon...hehe...despite my bitching there is still good stuff to be had, it just requires a little more trail travel than normal.

What is really shocking is the places the snow has melted off on higher faces, etc. You can still string together a line for the most part, but the peaks definitely have a very melted out look to them.

My other perspective is this...for lots of folks this is the best "slogging season"...most glacier climbs are done in may, june, july when the approaches are snow free but the glaciers aren't too broken. I can still enjoy a good slog...they are scenic and have good opps. for photos. Plus I can go with friends who aren't as technical. If I have the ability to carry the extra weight of skis with me, why not take them and enjoy the ride down rather than complain about postholing down in mid day slush.