Straffed by a heli on the boston glacier

JoshK

The post about the blackhawk reminded me of this. Last thursday when Sky and I skied buckner, we had a heli fly up the boston glacier and zoom by us by only a few hundred feet then come back and hover for a few seconds directly above us a few hundred feet. WTF? He then proceeded to fly over to the part of the boston glacier near forbidden and disappear into the drainage beneath before returning a few minutes later and flying out the skagit queen drainage.

Any clue what this was about? It looked private; definitely not a military copter.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was this a military helicopter? If so then they were definitely training.

If this was your standard huey helicopter then they were taking pictures of you. It would be tourists in that helicopter or some professional photographer. The helicopter service out of Winthrop does not land in the national parks but they do land on the national park ridge borders.

Some heli flights occur in the park to do things like check on snowpack levels for hydrology, like estimates of the progress of the spring runoff. There are some glaciology studies that use a couple of flights a year to position measuring instruments or check on movement.

Even if it was there for an official reason and with permission, every heli pilot I've ever seen enjoys flying those things and will get closer to ridges than might otherwise be needed to do things like check for wildlife and such. I guess you were a "scenic attraction" that day.

joshk wrote:

But it is illegal to use the "likeness" of somebody without their permission.

I don't think this is strictly true, certainly not if the use can be interpreted as "news." I imagine the definition of "news" in this case would be very broad.

Yeah, ya never know. I would imagine if you threw somebody's picture on an advertisment for supergaper sports drink you would get in trouble for sure. In case anybody was confused I was making a crack at our over-lawsuit-happy society. I would never sue for something that stupid.

But you would tack an unnecessary prefix onto regardless. Bwahahahahaha hahaha.gif

Personally, the helicopter scared me. I thought men in black suits would jump out and accost us for our wanton day trip ski of the North Face Couloir. I can't imagine what kind of psychological impact these things have on wildlife, considering I knew very well what it was and it scared the bejezus outta me.

Josh, my estimation is that if your photo is taken in a public space, then you have no rights to privacy for use of your likeness. The mountains qualify as a public space. I'm not sure about something like inside a personal tent.

However, if you had a trademark on your likeness (which you don't, you sorry looking sap grin.gif <-- sarcasm graemlin moon.gif) like Tiger Woods does, then your likeness could not be used to sell someone else's product(s).

Not that anyone would need to do it, but if a company or individual used your likeness to sell a product BUT you don't own a trademark on your likeness, then you don't have much of a leg to stand on should you want to sue. However, you could probably create a trademark for your likeness later thereby ending their usage. If they continue, then you can sue. If they acquire the trademark (the rights to use) your likeness before you do, then you're really fukked....well, probably not. yellaf.gif

Most of the contract work for the park is done by Tony Reece of Hi-Line Helicopters out of Darrington. Tony is a great guy and he doesn't screw around. He drives a white Hughes 500D. Seattle City Light has a yellow 500D. What did the helo look like?

Umm, I think it was white, with maybe some blue lines or leterring? I know planes, but not helis, so I couldn't tell you what model it was.

I wonder why, then, on reality shows, cops, and other such crap they blur out standers-by?

In any event, next time I'd really rather have whoever is up there think twice about hovering right over somebody. It's kind of obnoxious and not exactly what I think of as enjoyable in my wilderness experience. Then again, it obviously made for a good story. wink.gif

But you would tack an unnecessary prefix onto regardless. Bwahahahahaha hahaha.gif

Personally, the helicopter scared me. I thought men in black suits would jump out and accost us for our wanton day trip ski of the North Face Couloir. I can't imagine what kind of psychological impact these things have on wildlife, considering I knew very well what it was and it scared the bejezus outta me.

When I was fighting fires in MT, I spent a lot of time in and around helicopters in the Scapegoat wilderness. I saw a lot of wildlife from the heli and from the ground while the heli was coming in. They weren't very interested unless it got low and close.