Sad

Peter_Puget

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no it's not any sadder than any of the other lives lost. h/e it is a tad noteworthy b/c he turned down millions to serve his country.
And also because he shunned any media attention about it. He did it because he believed it, and not for any other reason. This is a little different than what his commander in chief did when he was called to duty.

I feel bad for this guy, and the other families. Afganastan was one thing, but what do you tell the relatives that this guy, or any other solidier, died for in Iraq? Hell, they can't even explain it to the media never-the-less a grieving family member. What a waste.

Perhaps because he chose to skip being good at a stupid game and actually chose to do something he deemed important. He had a very lucrative option, whereas most in our volunteer armed services don't, and could have easily chosen to be a millionaire for a few Sundays' worth of 'work'. Which option would you choose?

In the name of full disclosure, I'd be chasing a guy with a ball.

There is a stanza in the Ranger Creed that in part states, "Fully knowing that I volunteered for the Rangers...".

This particular death is not any more or less sad than others that have occurred but I think OlyClimber and Minx hit on the fact that his story is very unique. RIP.

Ohhhh, so its the fact he had money that makes it so sad. I see.

dps

i can only assume you're being contrary for the sake of being contrary.

obviously money has nothing to do w/it being sad. in fact it is not any more sad than the countless others who have died and will die. it is noteworthy. and it is noteworthy in a positive way (not that his death was positive) b/c he made a choice most of us know we wouldn't make.

Why is this any sadder than the 1000 other kids that George W sent to die? Because he was good at a stupid game?

No, because he chose the harder road because he believed in what he was doing. Pull your head out of your ass, you're not very tall as it is.

Sorry to rain on your parade of patriotism here, but the actual fact is that I don't think we actually know whether patriotism was his reason for signing up. It would seem "obvious," perhaps, but people have lots of reasons for doing what they do and the "obvious" one is not always the correct one. I believe he did not give interviews or release writings or anywhere else explain what his reasons were.

It is a compelling story, though. His death is sad, and the fact that he gave up a potentially lucrative career to join the military is quite remarkable.

Sorry to rain on your parade of patriotism here, but the actual fact is that I don't think we actually know whether patriotism was his reason for signing up. It would seem "obvious," perhaps, but people have lots of reasons for doing what they do and the "obvious" one is not always the correct one.

Mattp - See here for some more insight The obvious reason for your post would seem to be helping us think better but perhaps there is something deeper going on. I am sure there are a myriad of reasons anyone does anything.

PP bigdrink.gif

Come on, all.

The guy had already made a bunch of money when he decided to leave the nfl. His family was taken care of, as were his material needs.

Personally, I'd be more moved if he would have joined a monastery, instead of taking up arms and going on a killing spree in someone else's country.

I believe it was George Bush's saviour Jesus that said "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.".

Let me posit a correction, if I may:

Sexual Chocolate said

"Come on, all.

The guy had already made a bunch of money when he decided to leave the nfl. His family was taken care of, as were his material needs.

Personally, I'd be more moved if he would have joined a monastery, instead of taking up arms and going on a killing spree in someone else's country.

I believe it was George Bush's saviour Jesus that(sic) said "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.".

Maybe you could explain your rather loose translation. I know I open myself up to all sorts of clever retorts, but my humility forces such a "concession".

There is a stanza in the Ranger Creed that in part states, "Fully knowing that I volunteered for the Rangers...".

Actually, the first stanza of the Ranger Creed goes:

"Recognizing that I voluneered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor and high esprit de corps of the Rangers"

Surrender is not a Ranger word.

Rangers lead the way! May he rest in peace.