Disgusting habit

olyclimber

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when I was a little tyke in the Y-Indian Guides we went on a rafting trip on the Colorado River. At the end of our float we arrived at a campground called Water Wheel. There our "tribe" camped in tents. There was another tribe from a spendy side of our home town called Emerald Bay. They all had humongous motor homes. One of the dads from our group quipped, "Those Emerald Bay guys bring their own trees". We all thought it so funny we retold the joke many times over the years.

There are always going to be those who need to take the city to the wilderness. They are cheating themselves, big time, but they are also cheating the rest of us.

It is just surreal to be hiking along, and hear a loud conversation on the trail ahead...and it turns out to be some guy arguing with his girlfriend on his cell phone. I kind of makes you want to pull a Jim Belushi, like what he did with the guitar in Animal House.

that would be John Belushi bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

There is a very big difference ChucK. People usually talk quite a bit louder on the phone than they do in person and the syncopation (talk.... silence.... talk.... silence...) is really distracting.

Use your freaking cell phones in private and where you don't have a captive audience (bus, restaurant, elevator, etc). madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

And if you use them in the wilderness near me, you can expect some rude behavior in return.

I am personally offended by anyone using hiking poles. Why the f88k should you need those in the wilderness? Bringing some of your city comforts with you. Gag me.

Especially the collapsible ones. Sounds mechanized to me. Illegal in the Wilderness.

Also, they distract me. They transform the usual human profile into something new different and ... scary.

If you use hiking poles in the wilderness around me, where I'm trapped, and can't get away, expect some rudeness in return.

I find it weird how some people seem all freaked out by others talking on a cell phone, but don't seem to mind if it's two people having a conversation.

Ya, that is weird. Usually when there is a conversation, it is two people talking. Must be something about cell phones. It must be a Luddite tendenancy in my subconscious. wave.gif

I am personally offended by anyone using hiking poles. Why the f88k should you need those in the wilderness? Bringing some of your city comforts with you. Gag me.

Especially the collapsible ones. Sounds mechanized to me. Illegal in the Wilderness.

Also, they distract me. They transform the usual human profile into something new different and ... scary.

If you use hiking poles in the wilderness around me, where I'm trapped, and can't get away, expect some rudeness in return.

Good god, you've pegged it! I was wondering what the hell was wrong with me when I was soloing the Mt. Si trail and was surrounded by people with trekking poles! I was puking in the bushes after some spandex wearing fellow with trekking poles brushed by me on the way to his Porsche Cayenne in the parking lot. I felt like I totally screwed up my gear selection in not purchasing a set of titanium trekking poles and a Sat phone so I can chat with Sandy Hill Pittman where ever. It is now common knowledge at those are required uniform for Mt. Si. I just need to work over my allergy to them. hahaha.gifthumbs_up.gif

I've decided to start a cell phone collection agency for the homeless. If I see anyone using a cell phone for any other reason than a rescue or emergency on a summit, rest assured I will take ownership of it and "donate" it to the homeless. I will be setting up collection recepticles just off the steepest sides of each mountain summit from which volunteers will "collect" them each and every week during the main peak seasons for climbing and hiking. So, if you'd like to make a "donation" to this worthy cause, then just whip out your cell phone and start talking. The homeless will thank you for your kind and generous donation. rolleyes.gif

If I see anyone using a cell phone for any other reason than a rescue or emergency on a summit, rest assured I will take ownership of it and "donate" it to the homeless.

Uh...Ryland..what if it's a REALLY IMPORTANT JOB INTERVIEW? laugh.gif

I mean, there must be some exceptions, right? wazzup.gif