Geocaching

SublimeSalamander

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i haven't cached much lately, too busy skiing and eating steaksauce. but honestly, it is a great way to get to know a new area, most caches are located at points of interest, and scenic spots. i have found a few places to boulder because of caching.

it is a real fun activity to do with kids, and depending on what type of cache you do, it can teach kids, old and young, how to not only use a GPS but very usefull map and compass skills, as well as more advanced GPS techniques like projecting waypoints.

I kind of got turned off by the activity though due to the impact it does in certain locations. some 'hiders' don't take much care when they place caches, and cause de-vegitation and errosion around their stashes.

But 'round here in central oregon, there are some fantastic hunts out in the desert east of bend, as well as a few really cool ones around grey butte by smith... which take you to some neat rock outcroppings.