How to repair Schoeller?

Chad_A

Well, evidently, I managed to put a small hole in the left leg of my Schoeller pants. Ideas? I think that a while back, someone mentioned using Seam Grip, or something like that, to mend it (although, it won't be pretty.)

Please post anything that is known. I know that they sell Goretex repair fabric, but I've not yet seen Schoeller stuff.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Learnign to walk with crampons on is harder than you thought, huh?

Depends on size; if its not too big sew it shut with some industrial thread (carpet thread is good) that is nylon and then put a thin covering of seam sealer on both sides. If it is good sized, consider sending it back to the company (esp. arcteryx). I put a 2' cut in the upper sleeve of a hardface pullover; they just put a whole new sleeve on (for free not less).

I would suggest just sewing it yourself. If you don't know how to sew, it doesn't take long to learn. A few minutes experimenting with different stitches and that's it. Zig-zag stitch is what you're looking for. I'm sure you know someone who has a sewing machine that you could use. Seattle Fabrics is an awesome resource for outdoor fabrics and materials. Look into Spandura as somewhat of an alternative to Schoeller. It is a blend of Lycra to give it a bit of stretch, and Cordura for strength and abrasion resistance. In terms of thread, industrial strength is a little much, the fabric will end up ripping before the thread does. All you need is polyester thread. For seam sealing they sell seam tape at Seattle Fabrics also. This is the stuff that you see on factory sealed seams, not quite as messy as other alternatives. The main worry with applying seam tape is the heat from the iron. This can be damaging to some fabrics if you're not careful. I think they also sell some sort of heat shield you can use. I would buy the smallest amount of fabric you can get, maybe 1/4 or 1/2 yard. Probably be around $7. 1 yard or 2 of seam tape, around $3. $2 for thread and you'll have everything you need, in addition to extra fabric should this happen again. Anyways good luck whatever you may choose. I'm exhausted.

Learnign to walk with crampons on is harder than you thought, huh?

the_finger.gif

Haha...and learning to spell was harder than you thought?

yelrotflmao.gif

Seriously, holes don't bother me too much; the only problem is, right now, they're doing double duty (bike commuting here in misty Portland), and it's nice to not have any holes in them.

I'm thinking that actual sewing might be a bit too overzealous at this point, since I'll probably do it again, but something just to "glue" it would probably suffice.

I know that Twight mentions "Tool Dip" as a repair alternative in his book; says that it's available at hardware stores. Heard of it, anyone?

I would suggest just sewing it yourself. If you don't know how to sew, it doesn't take long to learn. A few minutes experimenting with different stitches and that's it. Zig-zag stitch is what you're looking for. I'm sure you know someone who has a sewing machine that you could use. Seattle Fabrics is an awesome resource for outdoor fabrics and materials. Look into Spandura as somewhat of an alternative to Schoeller. It is a blend of Lycra to give it a bit of stretch, and Cordura for strength and abrasion resistance. In terms of thread, industrial strength is a little much, the fabric will end up ripping before the thread does. All you need is polyester thread. For seam sealing they sell seam tape at Seattle Fabrics also. This is the stuff that you see on factory sealed seams, not quite as messy as other alternatives. The main worry with applying seam tape is the heat from the iron. This can be damaging to some fabrics if you're not careful. I think they also sell some sort of heat shield you can use. I would buy the smallest amount of fabric you can get, maybe 1/4 or 1/2 yard. Probably be around $7. 1 yard or 2 of seam tape, around $3. $2 for thread and you'll have everything you need, in addition to extra fabric should this happen again. Anyways good luck whatever you may choose. I'm exhausted.

Spandura is not quite Scholler. Even less water resistant and wind resistant. Seam tape will not stick to fabrics that are not smooth, it will not work on Scholler/spandura. Plus, why bother, the pants are nowhere near waterproof anyway. If you sew it it will look like shit unless you sew a scuff guard over the entire affected area. If you use a sewing machine, make sure to use a large zigzag stich so the area will still stretch. I'd just leave them alone unless the hole is REALLY big.

Spandura is not quite Scholler. Even less water resistant and wind resistant. Seam tape will not stick to fabrics that are not smooth, it will not work on Scholler/spandura. Plus, why bother, the pants are nowhere near waterproof anyway. If you sew it it will look like shit unless you sew a scuff guard over the entire affected area. If you use a sewing machine, make sure to use a large zigzag stich so the area will still stretch. I'd just leave them alone unless the hole is REALLY big.

Like I said, it's somewhat of an alternative to Schoeller. I haven't tried seam tape on Schoeller yet so I don't speak from experience here. I wouldn't worry about sewing it looking like shit if you're thinking about seam seal or tool dip as other options. With that said I haven't yet repaired the small tear in my Schoeller pants either. Just an option to think about for the more adventurous out there. It's been my experience that making clothing and gear repairs via sewing is pretty easy, yet many are deterred because the idea of sewing something yourself seems difficult.

Yeah, think I'll keep my eye on it, and make sure it doesn't spread. In the mean time, I'll certainly check out the spandura. Thanks CPOLy, for that.

By the way, Seattle Fabrics is a good resource to have. I'll have to have my girlfriend show me how to sew; with some practice, and some of their raw materials, I could make some stuff that I'd normally have to buy thumbs_up.gif

It can definetly be the cheaper alternative. I made a pair of gaitors for myself that are really sweet. Waterproof/Breathable fabric up top and heavy duty cordura for the bottoms. Got the pattern from Seattle Fabrics. Also made a crash pad for much less than it would cost to buy one. Good luck.

Well, evidently, I managed to put a small hole in the left leg of my Schoeller pants. Ideas? I think that a while back, someone mentioned using Seam Grip, or something like that, to mend it (although, it won't be pretty.)

Please post anything that is known. I know that they sell Goretex repair fabric, but I've not yet seen Schoeller stuff.

I have/had several holes in the cuffs of my softshell pants (from ski edges Geek_em8.gif). I patched them with Goretex patches. very simple I've had no problems since I patched them 1+ years ago. thumbs_up.gif

I'll add that the goretex patches I used were sticky and didn't require any ironing. Honestly this is the easiest fix so it worth a shot! Those goretex patches rock, especially when you get them from the 50% bin at OR. I have patched lots of crampon holes with them..... Geek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gif

Edited by Dustin_B

How's about we abandon pub club in favor of a sewing circle, where we all exchange patterns and sewing tips for making our own gear?

I'm not joking. I think.

Years ago, I sewed my first pair of aiders. I only screamed a little when the 'bar-tacks' blew during my first aid climb.