Chalk is bunk!

Mer

Went to the gym last night and I’m still coughing chalk out of my lungs. The air was thick with it, the holds were greasy, my clothes are covered in it, and I wasn’t even using any.

I’m beginning to suspect that chalk belongs in the category of largely useless gear along with titanium spoons, pink Lexan® bottles and special helmet stickers. I agree it can be useful on sunny days, on particularly tricky moves. But does anyone really notice a vast difference on the odd day that you forget your chalkbag, really?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I think to a large extent chalk is a calming ritual, an excuse to pause, do something else, and look ahead. I haven't climbed in a gym in years, but I know the stuff is terrible in an indoor environment. Outside, I do think it makes a difference, even if my hands aren't all sweaty, but truly the virtue lies in the act itself, of finding a stance and chalking up and getting psyched for the next bit, until you can chalk up again.

If the gym has gravel like VW, then I'm almost positive that what you're breathing in is much more rock dust than chalk. Everytime someone walks across the pebbles they grate 'em together and make dust and kick up dust.

Not to say that chalk isn't bunk. Chalk is good if you like your holds marked. Very helpful for onsights!

...I agree it can be useful on sunny days, on particularly tricky moves. But does anyone really notice a vast difference on the odd day that you forget your chalkbag, really?

My hands sweat like the back of a Sumo wrestler. I couldn't get off the ground on anything harder than 5.7 if I didn't use it. That being said, I hate how it has greased up once pristine holds. Crux pitch of Outer Space coems to mind...

you should wear a dust mask next time!

SkullMask4.jpg

I bet you'll have no trouble getting a belay! thumbs_up.gif

I often find when I am really getting freeked and sweaty-palmed I completely forget I even have a chalk bag and I instead madly wipe my hands on my trousers and teeshirt - it helps to wear cotton smirk.gif .

I mostly use chalk to tick foot-holds, this is especially fun to do in the gym cantfocus.gif

you should wear a dust mask next time!

OK, but my chalkbag is seafoam green and my shoes are prussian blue, what colour should my dust mask be? cantfocus.gif

it's not the colour of the dust mask that matters, it's the size of the dust mask...