Leuthold Couloir

letsroll

Looking for beta on Leuthold. I have a copy of Oregon High and that is my main source of info right now. Does anybody have more info or with that route description be good enough. I was going to solo that route this thurs, avi conditions seem to be best on that day along with weather. I am only going to use an ice axe, will that be enough?

Thanks

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would take crampons too. It should be set up really nice the next few days. Be aware once the sun hits the upper mountain anything that cuts loose will be coming down on top of you. I'd go early with the forecasted freezing levels. The route desc. in Oregon High is accurate.

If you like scenic steeps, take skis. It's nothing too extreme, and I think it might be the best all-around line to ski on Hood. If the conditions don't look good for skiing (even after softening as you climb and hit the ridge), then just descend the south side. Just a thought...

beware starting uphill too early and climbing the reid headwall in the dark...you wouldn't be the first to discover that the reid is a far superior (and equally solo-able, though a 2nd tool would be nice) climb than luetholds

Shooting the pearly gates looks like too much fun

Every time I have been up there the pearly gates is at best chewed up from 10 million mazamas at worst the 10 million mazamas are still in there. I would try the big face just to the west. I think it is called the old chute or something like that in Oregon High.

It was ages ago but it is in ANAM. Don't remember. But obviously don't go in there after a bunch of new snow has fallen or when it's hot (or following a sharp warming trend after a bunch of precip). I have seen massive slush avalanche debris at the base of the gulley several times.

Warm winds up high will also knock down very large chunks of rime (and often newly-exposed rock) on you all day.

(or following a sharp warming trend after a bunch of precip)

Forgive my confusion, but it seems like you are describing this week's conditions...

I'd say there is a warming trend, but not really warm...and by week's end, the precipitation will have been over with by more than a few days. With freezing temps at night, get an early start and you should be fine. cheeburga_ron.gif

Weather at Timberline

I'd say this could be an excellent weekend on Hood. bigdrink.gif

Looks like the two forecasts disagree. That's wazzzup.

Yep, the NWS even says 11000 ft. on Saturday night. But Intellicast says in the mid 20s F at Timberline.

I saw something on the news last night about how inaccurate the NWS is against many of the private run weather services. I wonder if this is what they were talking about?

I guess we'll see.....

Could be an inversion???

Either way looks it could be a sweet weekend for climbing/skiing...whatever. Of course there is still plenty of time for it to change. cantfocus.gif

I don't know. It does seem wierd that the forecasts are SO different. confused.gif

I surfed by the forecasts again and they are still radically different. I also surfed by The Weather Channel and it seems to agree with Intellicast. confused.gif

Anyone got any opinions or observations of weather forecasting services?

wave.gif