End of an era: No more VW van

jaee

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of really cool cars started to disappaer in the past decade due to the american market becoming more and more interested in shitty, low quality, gas-guzzling, poor-handling vehicles (SUVs.) I mean, after all why would you want efficience, build quality, acceleration and decent handling? rolleyes.gif

VW killed the Eurovan because no one wanted to buy it <5k units a year ain't many. 2 seperate relatives of mine purchase Eurovans in the past year. It's not a particularly impressive vehicle. As for build "quality" I wouldn't associate that with VW's of late.

not likely boxing_smiley.gif same deal as with bikes - the Harley that used to be the muscle bike is for fat yuppies now, ditto with american muscle cars only one driving it is some paunchy lawyer driving at 50mph up the sea to sky to his whistler chalet boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif owners of them are too scared of damaging investment to drive them fast. car as substitute for loss of sex drive. read mid life crisis and wanting toys couldnt have as teenager.

Find me an american car that'll compete with a modded Subaru WRX WTI for less than $32k. An easy exhaust install and a computer mod and it pushs 370hp and gets to 60 in somewhere near 4 1/2 seconds. Not to mention the japanese actually have a concept of something called "handling"

Anyway, this is pointless, we were talking about junk SUVs runing the market for lots of other neat cars over the past decade

That would suck if they ruined the Taco - though I am much more likely to spring for major repairs and drive the thing until it implodes than buy a new rig in the next several years.

So what happened with the 4-Runner anyway? I have seen one that looked heavier, had less clearance, and generally looked a bit more pedestrian but I thought that they were still selling "sport" editions that were mostly stripped down and still looked like the old 4-Runners.

So what happened with the 4-Runner anyway? I have seen one that looked heavier, had less clearance, and generally looked a bit more pedestrian but I thought that they were still selling "sport" editions that were mostly stripped down and still looked like the old 4-Runners.

It became clear that the market for yuppies who want SUVs had far outpaced the market for people who actually want a legit 4WD truck. Hence the transistion of the 4runner from a very reasonable off-road truck to this bloat thing they now sell.

Yeah I'm hoping to run my tacoma into the ground too. I guess the word is the tacoma will not change too much, but it will be much bigger than previous models. They are calling it "mid-size" now and the test ones look like a tundra, which I've never liked that much.

The new 4-runner is an entirely different vehicle than the previous 3 gens. It has a lot of sophisticated drivetrain "improvements" and a V8 option that is weaker than the V6 yellaf.gif But hey if you require the sound and consumption of a V8 it's your baby. The new 4-runner is definitely much more advanced than previous ones and offers a much more plush and smooth ride, but there's something to be said for simplicity. That's why I like the taco trucks, cause I can actually fix things on them yellaf.gif

Find me an american car that'll compete with a modded Subaru WRX WTI for less than $32k. An easy exhaust install and a computer mod and it pushs 370hp and gets to 60 in somewhere near 4 1/2 seconds. Not to mention the japanese actually have a concept of something called "handling"

Ok Josh, here ya go, stock models, subbing the chip will probably get you more gain in the 'stang than in the roo:

2004-2005 WRX Sti: 0-60 4.7sec, 1/4mile 13.2sec, topspeed 152mph, mpg 18/24, $32,000.

2004 Ford Mustang Cobra: 0-60 4.5sec, 1/4mile 12.9sec, topspeed 155mph (electronic limited), mpg 16/24, $34,000.

The VW van has been slip slidin' away over the past several years due to the saturation of the part of the market it was aimed towards. There are just too many options that offer better form, function, performance and sadly, style than the VW van. A model such as the VW van could only rely on its reputation for so long.

iain wrote:

The new 4-runner is an entirely different vehicle than the previous 3 gens. It has a lot of sophisticated drivetrain "improvements" and a V8 option that is weaker than the V6 But hey if you require the sound and consumption of a V8 it's your baby. The new 4-runner is definitely much more advanced than previous ones and offers a much more plush and smooth ride,...

Iain, the V8 is not weaker than the V6. While offering similar horsepower ratings the V8 has much more torque. Also, the gas mileage is similar (within a couple of miles per gallon) but the V6 requires premium petrol since it has been tweaked so hard to get the horespower it provides.