Era of Stubai Aschenbrenner Axe?

Cpt.Caveman

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You need the localized (by language or all of them) fonts installed to view the text properly.

I don't speak - read - or write Japanese.

Anyway yeah it's one of Fred's old axes. I'm just unsure of the era. Asking him is like something he's not interested in or cares about. I think he'd rather talk about boobs and women's underwear instead.

Thanks,

-RB

Cpt. Cavie:

I just spoke with a Japanese speaker in my office. He did a QUICK review of the linked page. If the axe has Stubai stamped on the head inside a mountain, it is newer (post WWII). If the axe has Stubai stramped inside of a triangle, it is older (usually 1950 or older).

So: Triangle or Mountain?

If he's correct I got an old model.

If that is true then I am thinking of restoring it a little for longer term. What are some good suggestions for the wood and metal? I could green pad some metal with small amounts of wd-40 and shit but am not too savvy about the wood.

Thanks Rod. bigdrink.gif

317176-axe.JPG

317176-axe.JPG.50288ff315752e79c83c356f5fd32fa5.JPG

Edited by Cpt.Caveman

I'd say tread lightly. I have a friend who restores furniture, and he spends a lot of time and money NOT to refinish or even truly scrub things. It is a simple item, so I bet you could clean it up without messing with the original finish and without destroying the petina, and I bet that'd be maximum value.

If that is true then I am thinking of restoring it a little for longer term. What are some good suggestions for the wood and metal? I could green pad some metal with small amounts of wd-40 and shit but am not too savvy about the wood.

Don't do it ray. These guys say so.

about_kenos.jpg

If he's correct I got an old model.

Thanks Rod. bigdrink.gif

I have a similar model with the triangle but no words.

I sanded the well-used shaft with 100 grit paper to reduce the incidence of splinters and buffed the metal parts with steel wool and rubbing compound. I then treated the shaft with danish oil (to bring out the nature of the grain) and the coated it with several coats of polyurethane, lightly sanding with 220 grit paper in between. The metal parts I treated with 3-in1 oil to reduce oxidation. The metal has since reverted to a well used, but not overly-oxidized look. Over all, it looks pretty good.

Yours being of a more historically known and significant origin, I would dispense with the sanding and polyurethane and just treat it with some tung or danish oil to preserve the wood as is. Buffing of the metal with a light petroleum product (3-in1, WD-40, gun oil) does preserve and enhance without messing up the aged nature of the metal.

Seriously Ray, if this thing has any collector value or even the potential of having collector value DO NOT reconditon it. Refinishing the metal or wood will ruin it's collector value. MattP's right, collector's love the old time petina and distressed wood look.

It's funny as shit watching that antique show on pbs where some rube had a $50k piece of victorian furniture that's now only worth $10k because they stripped the old paint off and stained it shocked.gif

What are some ideas?

The American Mountaineering Museum (@ the AAC Headquarters)

Neptune Mountaineering?

They've got the knife

JOEKNIFE.JPG

Edmund's boots

MEVRST1.JPG

And a whole bunch of other stuff.

Shame I don't know of something in this neck of the woods.

The reality is that there are many of these old axes laying around. I have a pretty rare one that is a WW II German mountain troops actual issue with the German Army serial number clearly visible on it.

I have another Stubai that I believe is from the early 1930s (based on some research) that is only 50 cms in length. The short axes are VERY rare. back then everything was long, walking axes.

My pint is that these tend to run between $100.00 for a standard old axe and up to about $500.00 for a VERY rare axe.

In the years to come, assuming you can authenticate that it was used by old Fred, it may be considered rare. But overall these axes are more interesting pieces that you hang on your wall, as opposed to a museum wall.

Does anyone know of a Cascade Climbing museum, or mountaineering historical society? Do the Mountaineers have anything like that? Others?

I have been trying to find an old hemp rope....that is very hard to find.

That said, I agree with most here...don't touch the wood shaft.

I've got one that looks like this,

stb_a5a1.jpg

stb_a5n1.jpg

except the scripted "Nanga Parbat" is underneath the mountain logo. The head has some rust, but would clean up nicely.

Thought I was hot shit when I bought it well used in 1973 for $10. I'll bet there still a lot of these models stuffed in the back of closets.

I would like it to be contributed\given to a place where it belongs. Then maybe they can deal with it.

What are some ideas?

Ray, although this axe by itself is probably not worth more than about $50 -$100, it is an axe that has real worth just by its history. Althought I hate to see it go out of the northwest, the American Alpine Club has a museum in CO. Another option, if you could talk Fred out of a couple of more items would be to approach the Museum of Hisory and idustry into an exibit on northwest moutnaineering. I am sure there are several people on this board with enough items to start a nice exibit at a local museum.