Buying Used Ropes

EWolfe

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 feet out an overhang, 20 foot fall on fixed anchor. Enough said? hellno3d.gif

Toes Of The Fisherman

35 feet of rope, 20 foot fall, and a horizontal vector, thats 20/35 or fall factor of no more than 0.57. Perhaps all the details are not available here, but that's beside the point. I have tons of used ropes if anyone wants to buy them! I haven't figured out how to weave a rug out of them yet...

Gear thieves are the lowest form of life.

Let's see...attach 20 feet of rope to a 20 foot cable...climb 40 feet and then fall 80.

Voila! fall factor 4.

Mister E, I think you should try to understand some of the basic principles of climbing before you lay claim to "fall factor 4's". Your rope was fine, your math ( and luck) were not. Sorry to hear you got ripped off.

Dru, you have succumbed to Geek_em8.gif.

no it would have been geeky if i had computed the fall factor for 207/107 as well as 207/100 and determined which of these was appropriate measure based on definition of "length of fall/length of rope" if stretched length should count rolleyes.gif

Dru, you have succumbed to Geek_em8.gif.

no it would have been geeky if i had computed the fall factor for 207/107 as well as 207/100 and determined which of these was appropriate measure based on definition of "length of fall/length of rope" if stretched length should count rolleyes.gif

I think that fall factor is calculated before stretch, so it makes it simple enough for the average joe to figure out.

I posted incorrectly, I meant to say Factor 2.

nice recovery. rolleyes.gifyelrotflmao.gifwave.gif

second hand ropes are great for setting up play equipment for children: swings and the like. they make trendy dog leashes. some people put em trailer boats but nylon sinks so i think its stupid.

personally new ropes are an extravagance i feel i deserve. werd.

actually no, if you fell from 100 ft above the anchor to 100 ft below the anchor on a rope with an elongation of 7% then you would actually fall 207 ft. for a fall factor of 2.07 rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifGeek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gif

wazzup.gif You didn't like my method of producing more than a fall factor 2 ???!

FWIW: if you take a 200ft fall on a 100ft of rope, it's surely gunna stretch a hell of a lot more than 7%. The FF is calculated pre-stretch. If you actually forced a big fall factor FOUR on a rope it would break after stretching more than 60%...if every thing else didn't fail first...like harness, anchor, 'biners, vertibrea. pitty.gif

actually no, if you fell from 100 ft above the anchor to 100 ft below the anchor on a rope with an elongation of 7% then you would actually fall 207 ft. for a fall factor of 2.07 rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifGeek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gif

wazzup.gif You didn't like my method of producing more than a fall factor 2 ???!

FWIW: if you take a 200ft fall on a 100ft of rope, it's surely gunna stretch a hell of a lot more than 7%. The FF is calculated pre-stretch. If you actually forced a big fall factor FOUR on a rope it would break after stretching more than 60%...if every thing else didn't fail first...like harness, anchor, 'biners, vertibrea. pitty.gif

well i chose a random figure of 7%, it varies by rope... some statics have an elongation of 1% and some skinny 8mm ropes with super low impact have elongation of 25% or more. that's how you can be TRing at marble canyon and still take a groundfall from 10m up hahaha.gif

well i chose a random figure of 7%, it varies by rope... some statics have an elongation of 1% and some skinny 8mm ropes with super low impact have elongation of 25% or more. that's how you can be TRing at marble canyon and still take a groundfall from 10m up hahaha.gif
That is a point that people would do well to consider. Didn't Mr. Parker break his helmet while top rope climbing? If all you plan to do is top rope climbing, it might be better to bring along your fat 11 mm rope and leave your skinny ropes at home.