What kind of Van should I get

layton

I want a van to live out of for the summer, but also to use around town and ice climbing in winter.

I've seen sweet decked-out Astrovans that have 4wd and seem to get very good gas milage. Any other reccomendations or support for the Astrovan?

What do you think about the Ford Econoline? I know they are tough and last, but price? gas milage?

I'm not getting a VW so don't bother to tell me to get one.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford Econoline with a Quigley or Salem Kroeger 4x4 conversion wink.gif If it's pre-1993 look for the 300ci inline 6 cylinder...kinda gutless but that engine will run forever...if it's newer, look for the 5.4 liter Triton v-8...one of the better motors ford's ever made. For a difference of 2 or 3 mpg over an Astro you'll get heaps more space. I've owned an Astro, 2 E-series vans, an Aerostar, and more...4x4 vans kick ass tongue.gif

All i know about vans is that the astro kicks some serious ass. I have also seen the larger econos- but they seem too big to drive long distances comfortably.

Find a web site specializing in trades ie. electricians,plumbers(be wary moon.gif) and you will most likely find a good deal. Most company vehicles are maintained well, and would be of a great cost benifit to purchase.

bigdrink.gif

If price wasn't an issue the ultimate climbing rig is a westy synchro. syncrho was the term for VW's AWD at the time and they only made it with the westy for a few years, I think in the late 80s early 90s if I remember. The kicker is the guys who generally own these are fairly into them, and a fairly easy engine converstion is to put in a porsche 944 turbo engine, which is actually bought quite cheaply.

now *that* would be a sweet climber vehicle...AWD, camper, and power. I think it would be esp. hilarious to be passing the big redneck trucks going up the passes in your normal looking VW van!! hahaha.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Yo Mike, there was a pretty nice lookin '79 Chevy conversion van outfitted for camping advertised on craiglist.com. Go to the portland site, and check out autos for sale. It was put up in the last couple of days and sells for about $2k.

As for the Sycro issue, I would love a Syncro camper, but they typically sell for about $15,000 minimum. Ouch! I checked out a pretty sweet burgundy camper (2wd) today out in Corbett - a 1990 and he wants $12k for it. Probably too steep, but it was in nice condition.

Yo Mike, there was a pretty nice lookin '79 Chevy conversion van outfitted for camping advertised on craiglist.com. Go to the portland site, and check out autos for sale. It was put up in the last couple of days and sells for about $2k.

As for the Sycro issue, I would love a Syncro camper, but they typically sell for about $15,000 minimum. Ouch! I checked out a pretty sweet burgundy camper (2wd) today out in Corbett - a 1990 and he wants $12k for it. Probably too steep, but it was in nice condition.

Yeah, it's amazing how much value they have held.