Who raps on 5.5mm?

Plinko

I'm looking for a emergency bail line/handline for scrambles and alpine stuff, so I don't have to bring two full-size (10mm)lines. What do you use, and how long? I'm specifically looking at the New England Tech Cord, 5mm (3/16), 5000lb. Thanks all...

Edited by Plinko

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I often use 6mm perlon for a rap line in tandem with a standard lead line, or sometimes by itself when soloing. If you're using a rappel device you can gain more friction by clipping a second biner into the ropes and to your belay loop. Make sure you clip into the ropes AND into the harness though. If you clip into just the ropes you'll get even less friction.

I don't think I'd ever use Spectra for rapping. Because it's so stiff it gets wicked tangles in it. You'll be F.U.C.T.!

Cheers!

Oh yeah, and make goddamn sure you direct the rope away from any bad edges...

Edited by Marko

I use 6mm perlon also. Here is my system.

At the anchor I tie the two strands together w/a death knot with the knot on the skinny side of the anchor.

Then I tie a fig-8 on a bight on the skinny rope very close to anchor and clip a biner to it. Then I clip that same biner to the lead line.

This way when I rap, all my weight is on the lead line.

The big problem with this setup is that you MUST PULL the skinny line and that is #1) a bitch and #2) bad juju if the rope gets stuck cuz then you gotta lead or jug up a 6mm rope.

However, I have pulled my ropes through some shit and have never (serious knocking on wood) got them stuck. If one was to reverse the knot (no biner, fig-8 etc) and pull the ez pulling lead line, the 6mm is sure to get wicked stuck as it tumbles down in all it's twisting knoting glory.

one more thing.

DON'T RAP ON SPECTRA. I have no idea where you found 30-60 meters of that shit, but concider it's low melting point and the large amount of heat generated on rappel. You will die most certainly.

rolleyes.gif

aint the spectra inside like insulated? it is the sheath slippage that is the bitch. that and the cost.

I use 60 m of 7mm perlon for alpine soloing. It is light enough to not be a big concern. It is strong enough to double and lead on. It is long enough to rap off lots o stuff. It handles pretty nicely which has been a good thing late in the day/night a couple times.

one more thing.

DON'T RAP ON SPECTRA. I have no idea where you found 30-60 meters of that shit, but concider it's low melting point and the large amount of heat generated on rappel. You will die most certainly.

The tech cord has a melting point of 932°F (compared to Kevlar's melting point of 260°F)...good point about the Kevlar tho.

one more thing.

The tech cord has a melting point of 932°F (compared to Kevlar's melting point of 260°F)...good point about the Kevlar tho.

stfu plinko. youre out of your element.

one more thing.

lumm, havin' a bad day? If it's over your head and you've got no clue (typical) and you can't answer the question then don't waste everyones time by taking up board space and talkin shit...if you wanna troll and throw down, that's what the Spray board is for. moon.gif

If anyone else has used Tech Cord, or knows more about it than lumm, I'd love to hear more...

I've rapped a single 5mm line before while canyoneering in Zion. You'll want to add an extra biner to increase friction. If thats not enough you can throw a biner on your leg loop and redirect the brake end into it. As someone else pointed out, you'll want to make damn sure its not loaded over any edges at all. At that diameter, you don't get much room for error.

one more thing.

lumm, havin' a bad day? If it's over your head and you've got no clue (typical) and you can't answer the question then don't waste everyones time by taking up board space and talkin shit...if you wanna troll and throw down, that's what the Spray board is for. moon.gif

If anyone else has used Tech Cord, or knows more about it than lumm, I'd love to hear more...

kevlar has a melting point of 500 centigrad. what is that in farenheit? 500c=>9/5(500) + 32 = 932f.

the melting point of spectra is 165centigrad => 329farenheit.

plinko: gargle butt grave asseyes. mo-ron. the_finger.gif

oh yeah: using the small end of a figure eight to rap small diameter line helps control speed a lot.

Hey, you knuckheads, Kevlar doesn't HAVE a melting point. It will char before it melts. Where are you getting your data anyway?

i get the info from the infallible world wide web. the information superhighway. cantfocus.gif

check out http://www.justsail.com/rmaterial.htm

i am of a mind that the 500c temp is a material science joke. something with 'curie point' as the punchline. moon.gif

oh. you dont have to use a bic lighter to melt kevlar with btw. wave.gif

I was thinking of 5 or 6mm with a monster munter, but then I thought that spectra would be a good (but expensive) alternate, because it could be a handy glacier rescue rope for ski touring as well. I don't think I would want to put crevasse rescue kind of loads on 5/6mm perlon. hellno3d.gif