frostbite/nip

Mr._Natural

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably would be bad but you only live once. If it was true frostbite I think your decision would already be made for you. If it starts to discolor in the future I would not risk it myself. Think how lame it would be to lose parts of your fingers. I was pretty scared when this happened to me since the numbness lasted for weeks.

When I last did a Wilderness First Aid course, they emphasized this point really strongly re frostbite treatment:

Do not allow your doctor to do anything until he/she can prove to you that they have contacted the Vancouver General Hospital burn unit for the latest frostbite protocol.

This was definetely more in reference to blackened toes and the like, and this was a few years ago, and maybe VGH is no longer the be-all end-all in frostbite treatment, but it might be helpful, if you are talking to a doc about it, or if anyone does get serious frostbite.

When I last did a Wilderness First Aid course, they emphasized this point really strongly re frostbite treatment:

Do not allow your doctor to do anything until he/she can prove to you that they have contacted the Vancouver General Hospital burn unit for the latest frostbite protocol.

This was definetely more in reference to blackened toes and the like, and this was a few years ago, and maybe VGH is no longer the be-all end-all in frostbite treatment, but it might be helpful, if you are talking to a doc about it, or if anyone does get serious frostbite.

Snoboy,

I took the WFA course in 2000 and 2002 (intend to recertify in 2004), and they never mentioned anything about VGH being the be-all, end-all in frostbite treatment. How far back was that when you heard that?

Mr. Natural,

I, like many others here, have had the shit scared out of me by numb fingers and toes for weeks on end. All in all, I'd go with lummox's and Alex's advice. It should be warm enough up there, and with plastic boots, you should be fine. Flex your toes continuously to be sure you can still feel them.

Sobo is not a medical professional. The opinions herein expressed are not meant to replace the advice of a qualified medical service provider. Use this information at your own risk. Closed course. Professional driver. Do not attempt these maneuvers at home. yellaf.gif

Snoboy,

I took the WFA course in 2000 and 2002 (intend to recertify in 2004), and they never mentioned anything about VGH being the be-all, end-all in frostbite treatment. How far back was that when you heard that?

3 or 4 years ago?? Maybe a different provider. I did mine with WFAI (now known as Wilderness Alert)in Vancouver.

Snoboy,

3 or 4 years ago?? Maybe a different provider. I did mine with WFAI (now known as Wilderness Alert)in Vancouver.

Ah! Different provider, then. I did (do) mine with the NOLS Wilderness Medicine Institute.

Funny this should come up, after saturday my toes hurt like hell on the way home, I just thought they were warming up and I was getting the burn, but after I got home and they still hurt I thought it must have been from kicking the ice with numb feet(big toes)the pain went away and my toes where sore. So after we leave to go sunday I was kind of worryed that it was going to be painful to climb, got there and my feet got cold fast and had no pain climbing. BUT on the way home when they started thawing out owwwwzzz. Both big toes are discolored and have some numbness.The nails are dark blue with red around the outside, but it looks more like I hit them with a hammer. They are tender but no pain. I hope they don't hurt too much sunday when I go out.

I climbed Stuart Glacier Coulior in May of 2002 wearing uninsulated leather hiking boots. My feet got REALLY cold and I lost feeling (or had tingly/weird feeling) in pretty much all of my toes. This lasted for several days which bothered me because I was leaving for Denali at the end of May. I decided to go to AK anyway and just tried to keep my feet warm and pay lots of attention to them (wiggle wiggle wiggle). A week or so after the end of the Denali trip, I got feeling back.

Toe warmer packs are a great idea.

i'm taking a WFR course right now and today we talked about frostnip/bite. i had a similar experience from Hyalite earlier this season...once the fingers warmed up, the outer layer was hard and white (like a calous) it then peeled in about a week later and the underlying tissue was super sensitive. this is defined as first degree frostbite. it works like burns actually, with 2nd degree getting blisters and such once it thaws. third degree are when it turns black, mummifies and falls off pitty.gif