Fitness levels of sprayers and climbers

Blake

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

scott_harpell said:

to answer your question blake. i find myself to be in pretty fucking good shape all around, but some people on this board are freaking maniacs. mabe you should partner up with one of these guys and find out for yourself. dare ya! wave.gif

hon you are like 22 you don't even have to try to be in shape yet tongue.gif

this aint vanity hun'. its about ability to climb objectives. especially with the time constraints placed upon me given my current 'encarceration.' smirk.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scott_harpell said:

to answer your question blake. i find myself to be in pretty fucking good shape all around, but some people on this board are freaking maniacs. mabe you should partner up with one of these guys and find out for yourself. dare ya! wave.gif

hon you are like 22 you don't even have to try to be in shape yet tongue.gif

Huh? What's age got to do with it? confused.gif

cracked said:

you will see... come and talk to me when you are 40 or 50 wink.gif

When I'm old and bald and fatter? hahaha.gif

when you have to work twice as hard to get the same results. I don't FIND MYSELF in any kind of shape... I work pretty damn hard at it, and I am not even THAT old yet Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

Bronco said:

Will, I really hope you aren't neglecting your legs and hips. I just know you must be performing deadlifts and ass to grass squats on your "legs day". Grip and rip dude. thumbs_up.gif

PS: Reducing the volume (amount of sets) on your other lifts and throwing some bent rows in wouldn't hurt you either. That seems like an awful lot of volume to me (general rule is no more than 20 sets in a single workout), but, everyone's work capacity is different.

Nah man, as I said that was an upper body day. The leg adduction/abduction works around the hips, I also do hanging leg raises for lower abs and hip flexors. I do some kind of leg power work ('cause I got small legs), not too many reg squats any more, usually on Smith rack, or leg press, also heavy calf raises. Stopped on the deadlifts because of injury potential and it's a pain to stack that much weight on the bar. Used to LOVE doing cleans from the floor though...at one point I was maxing at twice my bodyweight.

Man, there's not much else to do up here except drink or workout. Once it dips past -20, even xc skiiing isn't appealing.

I took a few years off from the weight room in college, and I've been pretty slack the last few years, but I've been moving iron since I was 15. My high school weight room would put many full-on gyms to shame. If you were an athlete in my school, you took weight training as a PE class every quarter.

That much volume isn't a big deal for me during the 12 rep phase. When I go to 3 rep phase, I cut some exercises. I also take morning HR before getting out of bed and adjust my workouts accordingly. Can't stress enough to heed the signals your body gives you, HR for me is an extremely useful tool.

I ride my bike 3 to 4 days a week for a total of about 9 hours, right now adding about an hour a week as the winter progresses. I lift legs twice a week, pretty heavy on Tuesdays for instance I was squating 300 last night, sled 600, and dead lift at 215. Lift legs on Friday but very very light. Do upper body on Wed and Thur but I do high reps because I'm trying to get leaner upstairs. I swim about 4 times a week about 30 minutes each workout. Doing a lot of stretching right now to increase my flexability.

cardio 2 times a week plastic once a week twice if I can.. yoga 3 x a week and I have been trying to add weights in once a week but can't seem to make the time yet... although I DID do 9 assited pull ups yesterday ( 55lbs assistance)

Go girl!!!

Soon you'll have RuMR shaking in his size 3 shoes....

Since my shoulder surgery, I've doubled my pull up count.

I'm in training for the Pikes Peak Marathone. Basically run Mount Si & West Tiger III, plastic rock once or twice a week, Raquetball, weights twice a week. Weekends, catching freashies with Jdog or climbing ice.

I also agree that after 30 the body takes longer to recover and results progress slower. But for some reason time seems to fly by so much faster.....

jon said:

I ride my bike 3 to 4 days a week for a total of about 9 hours, right now adding about an hour a week as the winter progresses. I lift legs twice a week, pretty heavy on Tuesdays for instance I was squating 300 last night, sled 600, and dead lift at 215. Lift on Friday legs on Friday but very very light. Do upper body on Wed and Thur but I do high reps because I'm trying to get leaner upstairs. I swim about 4 times a week about 30 minutes each workout. Doing a lot of stretching right now to increase my flexability.

Jon,

I don't mean to talk smack, but why are you squatting 300 and deadlifting 215? Are you doing really high reps on deadlift? I've always found deadlift to be a stronger lift than squats, as has every workout partner I've had. I'm sure it's probably just part of your training strategy, but I like to hear about different workouts.

Once upon a time after a back injury I got back into deadlifts by doing sets of 20 and increasing the weight every week. I love that fall down and watch the stars feeling after a good set of deadlifts. That's some kinda high.

mr.radon said:

cardio 2 times a week plastic once a week twice if I can.. yoga 3 x a week and I have been trying to add weights in once a week but can't seem to make the time yet... although I DID do 9 assited pull ups yesterday ( 55lbs assistance)

Go girl!!!

Soon you'll have RuMR shaking in his size 3 shoes....

Since my shoulder surgery, I've doubled my pull up count.

I'm in training for the Pikes Peak Marathone. Basically run Mount Si & West Tiger III, plastic rock once or twice a week, Raquetball, weights twice a week. Weekends, catching freashies with Jdog or climbing ice.

I also agree that after 30 the body takes longer to recover and results progress slower. But for some reason time seems to fly by so much faster.....

Doubled your pullup count? HA didya go from 1 to 2? BAWAHAHAHAAYERAPUNTER!!!

It's cool. That was my last set at 5 reps each. My squat max is about 400 and I don't know about the DL. I personally don't like dead lifts that much and so I don't push it too hard on those, it's hard on my back. I always thought you could squat more then deadlift, but maybe I'm wrong.

Bronco said:

That's the spirit Jon!

I haven't done a max squat in a long time. It chafes my pussy. (in other words, less than 400).

I don't do a one rep max, I have an equation that gives me an estimate. Were you fucking joking, 215 is fucking hard???

I saw this scrawney looking guy at the Pro Club once deadlifting like 350 or something and I couldn't even watch it was so ugly looking, this guys spine was doing things I didn't believe was imaginable.

You should be able to DL close to what you squat, unless you aren't squatting to parallel (which I doubt is the case). Short legged guys like me have an advantage in the DL so if you have long legs, it might be tougher. I'd imagine you could make quick progress on your DL if you focus on it, based on your squat.

Peter, please do some deadlifts, right away.

My fitness routine is as follows:

In winter: I do something active on Saturday and Sunday, go hiking Tuesday evenings for 3 hours, and sometimes hike on Thursday. I try to pull on plastic once a week.

In summer: 3-day climbing trips are the norm, then I also hike on Tuesday nights and usually hike or climb at least one other evening during the week.

Year-round: I take the stairs whenever possible, and take long-cuts when walking. I'm young and use that to my advantage. smile.gif