Fitness levels of sprayers and climbers

Blake

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ski couple days a week, plastic couple days a week.

Definitely not enough. Need game plan to get core strength back so I can ski harder and lift a little more at work. Also time to start doing those squats again so maybe I can do more than one hop turn per day. rolleyes.gif

conditioning stuff is not fun (eg crunches and associated), anyone found any halfway fun things to do to regain it? I think a strong core is the main building block to a strong and fit body. Help!

This fall/winter I am experimenting with the low-tech "Rocky trains in Siberia to meet Ivan Drago and avenge Apollo Creed's fatal beating" workout regimen.

1) Woodwork: cut trees, buck logs, haul logs, cut to 16 inch lengths, split logs, stack logs. Split 3+ cords of ponderosa and lodgepole today and still have both feet. Success.

2) Dirtwork: Hand dug/backfilled ditch for phone/propane lines--18 inch trench for 150 feet. Also hand backfillilng Infinite Ditch of Woe. Ditch of Woe is gravity flow water line that was dug by backhoe down a hill too steep for backhoe to backfill (he tried and failed, nearly died in process.) Ditch is 4.5 feet deep by 1.5 feet wide, by 250 feet long. By my calculation, about 500 cubic yards of dirt to be pushed, pulled and thrown back into ditch on steep hillside. Mixed in with dirt are dozens of jumbo-beach-ball-sized rocks for variety. Hired several people to help. Most quit. A spirit crushing workout.

3) Snowwork: After each snow, hand-shovel 70 foot driveway, clear parking spaces in front yard on grass where my housemates and I park, and shovel paths from back door to woodshed and gate. Snow shoveling is an ephemeral effort, and yet strangely more fulfilling than shoveling dirt.