marylou

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RobBob said:

I think its bullshit that a man can insult a man and its generally acceptable on here but you insult a woman (a particular woman who deigns to speak for all women) and you are a mysoginist.

I agree with the other Rob. I also believe that for the most part the guys have respect for the girls in general. Girls rock!

It's disappointing to know that after hundreds or even thousands of years of use, the "c-word" has come to connote a bad thing, since it refers to such a good thing. The c-word was used by the colonists. It was used in jolly old England. In Old German it was kunte. Hell, the root word is Latin, and the modern word cunnilingus literally translates as 'the man licking the vulva.' (Damn those 4 years of Latin were good for something!) Anyway, I think it's silly that we are reduced to only using the p-word, which frankly sounds childish sometimes. We need a larger vocabulary to communicate about such an important subject.

and a beer goes to the wise man bigdrink.giffruit.gifbigdrink.giffruit.gif

I feel your pain, RobBob. I too would like to be able to use that word because it is such a rich and wonderful part of our lexicon and because it is so much fun to call people "names." I have gotten nowhere when I've argued that it should not be seen for the offensive term that it is, though. For now, I'm afraid you'll just have to learn to live with the fact that many people, mostly women, have a deep-seated reaction to it.

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

I think what Rob was talking about was how words do not have to seem offensive if you understand thier root.... for instance the word FUCK was orrigionly

fronicating

under

consent (of)

king

or so I have heard wink.gif

URBAN LEGEND!

No RobBob, my post did include some sarcasm but I genuinely do think, like you perhaps, that it is unfortunate that word has taken such a negative connotation. The fact is, however, if you look up dictionary definitions of lots of words you will see very clear descriptions of not only the literal meaning of the word but the connotations it carries. That is part of language. I haven't kept track whether you ever called anybody that or any other vulgar name. This thread is not about Rob Bob, but about this board.

Dru said:

I think what Rob was talking about was how words do not have to seem offensive if you understand thier root.... for instance the word FUCK was orrigionly

fronicating

under

consent (of)

king

URBAN LEGEND!

I beg your pardon... I saw that on the histoy of sex on the learning channle or discovery or some such tongue.gif

Dru said:

fronicating

under

consent (of)

king

URBAN LEGEND!

I beg your pardon... I saw that on the histoy of sex on the learning channle or discovery or some such tongue.gif

yer wrong. middle english word fukenn meaning to srike or penetrate quickly. came from german.

Oxford Concise English Dictionary 9th ed. says of "fuck" : 16th century origin unknown.

"frig" on the other hand is said to come from Frigga or Freya a Norse goddess associated with fertility. Although the OED states that the earlier sense of "frig" is from "move about or rub" confused.gif

Allison,

Many of my complaints regarding bureaucracy and incompetence at the U are because I've seen things done better, either at other schools, or in my own dept as compared to the U as a whole.

For example, I get $1200 in travel reimbursements signed and approved by our dept accountants, but it takes the University five months to get me my money. I don't have a corporate card; I need to pay for travel out of my own pocket.

The U doesn't seem to know much about event planning either; thanks to them, we didn't have a projector for Timmy's show until about 15 minutes before, when I quickly pulled some favors in my dept (or we could have paid the U about $50 to rent one, plus a late fee). Had these morons been working for a company, they would have been fired. Had they been a company, they'd be out of business by now for their reputation of a shitty job.

The Climbing Club's snowshoes are sitting in a bitch's office right now, unable to be checked out, just because the bitch is too fucking lazy to fill out two separate purchase orders. We bought the snowshoes two weeks ago. With luck, the bitch will make them available tomorrow. I apologize to all bitches out there for the fact that I have associated bitches with Sandi.

I'm sure much of this shit could be present in the real world... some companies treat employees well; others don't. Bureaucracy at the U could even be compared to union jobs in the real world. "Sorry, you cannot fix that. Someone from the union needs to."

As for my "misdirected" passion towards the UWCC...

The UWCC used to have hundreds of members and teach courses. The UW Rock was built to keep UWCC members from climbing buildings. The UWCC played an active part in designing it. Since then, the club nearly died. We're trying to bring it back. What's wrong with that?

Many of my friends and climbing partners I've met through the club. I'd like to provide students at the U with a chance to get to know the mountains and want to come back for more -- is that charitable enough for you?

Maybe big shows are better left for the Mountaineers, FF, 2nd Ascent, etc., to pull off. But what's wrong with trying? The only way to figure out the best way for the UWCC to succeed is to try stuff and see what works.