Home Climbing Wall

casto

As yo can see I'm new here wave.gif, and I figured alot of you guys/gals know more that me. So I was curious what to use for texture on my home wall. I have a dozen or so extra wooden holds that Iwould like to give some texture, but spray paint and sand chips off. Is there a thicker paint or something so I dont have to buy some $40 texture paint? fruit.gif

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah the nostalgia:

Pope said: "4. Don't invite Dwayner to your work-outs. He's notorious for tucking his T-shirt up through the neck, baring his midriff, and dancing around the "iso-simulation" station while monopolizing the ghetto-blaster with his Rocky-Horror and Jesus Christ Superstar soundtracks."
Classic.

casto said:

As yo can see I'm new here wave.gif, and I figured alot of you guys/gals know more that me. So I was curious what to use for texture on my home wall. I have a dozen or so extra wooden holds that Iwould like to give some texture, but spray paint and sand chips off. Is there a thicker paint or something so I dont have to buy some $40 texture paint? fruit.gif

Epoxy resin mixed with sand.

casto said:

If you want, I own E&D Recreational Construction. I can build you a wall with great textures.

If you want to check it out. I can send you some pictures of the one in my back yard. Let me know.

What is the average cost of a Garage Wall? Figure about average size, to take up 1/4 to 1/2 of a two car Garage. Say you get some use ebay holds, and some new dope Pushers...I am in the preliminary planning stages.

Also, Rich who owns VW makes and sells textured pannels predrilled with T-nuts. The pannels have nice durable features built in. I'm not sure what he sells them for, but give the VW managers a call if you are intersted. bigdrink.gif

screw that! you can do it for much cheaper if you are willing to work more. i did it for 1/6th the price. make your own holds out of homeade molds with bondo/sand mix, wood and stuff... use scraps form construction lots and shit. get creative and you will do it for cheap. mabe buy a few nicer holds later once you have the shit up. buy the holds used from a person that spent $1500 and has to pawn off his wall. thumbs_up.gif

About $700 of that figure is in the 350 or so bolt-on holds I've got up. Those holds were from people looking to cash out and were great deals at sizes ranging from 2"-2' across. The rest is in high quality plywood and framing lumber ($450), hardware ($150), and crashpads/flooring ($200). The day I finished wall construction I was hanging like-new holds on around 375 SF of climbable wall. Cheap is fine, but I wanted a top shelf wall and that's what I ended up with.

You say you built a wall for $250? What size? Fized or free standing? Multiple faces or single face? Straight or changing angles? Aretes and corners or flat faces?

I helped build a 8' x 8' wall when I was in college for around $200 total, but that wall was a lot different from my current setup. It hung from the rafters in our garage, had adjustable pitch (read: moved when you climbed on it), and a 36 pack of Metolius holds. You better believe that thing didn't see much traffic after a while. I’m just giving Lambone the benefit of the doubt and tossing a number out for a quality wall that’ll add value to a garage and get some real traffic.

i have it mounted into the wall and the bottom is 1.5 feet of vertical and then a 45 degree to the ceiling. i am using my old matress as a crash pad smile.gif and i built most of the holds myself and they are holding up quite well. my favorites are actually just blocks of wood at angles. keeps me from getting sloppy. i didn't texturize and i built it into the wall, so that saved money. admittedly mine is a cheapo, but i dont need more. just a fix wheni cant get outside.

I suppose that I probably didn't need more than that to stay in some sort of shape, but I'm happy with the way mine turned out.

The old wall I mentioned had mattresses for crash pads like yours. I learned the hard way though that if you come off and land knee first, you can actually smack the floor pretty hard through a mattress. I spent a bit extra this time and made myself two queen size foam mats that keep me off the concrete even when I flail and come off the ceiling. Guess I'll have to put off buying that #4.5 Camalot til next year.

Well I have right now an 8ft verticle wall, and I am going to build it up soon. It's good to have parents in carpentry tongue.gif. I have the holds but have made some wooden ones that I want to have some texture, but spray paint and sand chips off, should I use a thicker paint.

I like the idea of the epoxy and sand, I might try to see the texture, and difficutly in application, give me all your ideas... moon.gif

i like letting the wood holds get naturally polished. have some of teh bondo/sand holds too. the slippery ones help me on my foot work and my accuracy. it really does help. the only think i can think of for texturing wood holds would be to use large grit sand paper every once in a while. everything else'd probably crack off (like you said). watch the splinters!

Well if your talking cheap. Get your T-Nuts at Tacoma Screw and not REI or etc. Tacoma Screw sell them at construction prices and not climbing prices. Big difference.

I built my walls out of concrete which makes the texture awesome. I modify the T-Nuts so they are guaranteed not to spin over time. I have tested making holds out of concrete also but they had some problems so I canceled that idea. As usual, everything is always constantly in research and development.

Everyone's Ideas are thumbs_up.gif.

The sand and epoxy works great for wooden holds, too. Don't make mixture too thick, as it gets hard to apply.

Do all your prep in advance, marking where you want the texture. Have some extra sand handy, and pat it onto the holds while the epoxy is still wet, then wire brush off excess later. Use goves, as it is toxic.

Also, for wall application, use less sand than for holds in the mix, as it tends to clump more on a roller. wave.gif

I have a home wall in my garage.

My two cents:

Make it steeper than you think. It might not be as realistic but it will be less boring and will see more use over the long haul.

Go random with your T-nut holes.

Start loooking for mattresses now.

Homemade wooden holds kick butt-and are used by the world's best.

Get good tunes going!

Have fun

Also, a dab of Liquid Nails on the back of each T-nut before setting it insures you won't have any spinners.

Density on 4x8 sheets:

vertical walls: 40-50 t-nuts per panel

10-35 degrees: 50-70 t-nuts per panel

36-45 degrees: 70-80 t-nuts per panel

bouldering cave: 80-95 t-nuts per panel

MisterE said:

Do all your prep in advance, marking where you want the texture. Have some extra sand handy, and pat it onto the holds while the epoxy is still wet, then wire brush off excess later. Use goves, as it is toxic.

wave.gif

Works well if you get prepared first. Definatley wear gloves but anyone with much epoxy experience will tell ya that it gets on you anyway. A cool trick from the marine industry is white vinegar. If you use a solvent for cleanup it will drive the epoxy amines into your skin as fast as it cleans them off. The vinegar will disolve uncured epoxy without driving it into your skin. Stinky hands are better than chemical reactions grin.gif Works good on tools also and way cheaper.

Nice Call Mr. E. This will save lots of headaches later. Some gyms will also use a tiny nail tapped in right on the edge of the T-nut. The head of this nail should hang over the back of the T-Nut for extra security against spinners. Spinners will happen over time no matter what you do, so also remember to build the wall in such a way as to be able to remove individual panels without having to tear down the whole wall. This will make repairing spinners A LOT easier.