Banff Ice Climbing

Toast

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Toast-

Went there for the first time last winter. We did Lady Wilson's Cleavage and climbed at Balfor Wall on the Parkway and then got into the Ghost and did most of This House of Skye (Highly recommended). We aslo spent a day at Hanfner, but I'm no high-end M-climber so that wasn't so much fun.

Here is a link to the photos:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showgallery.phpstype=2&si=FredRogers&perpage=12&sort=1&cat=505&ppuser=&friendemail=email@yourfriend.com&password=

We stayed at the Banff Hostel and a kinda shady but perfectly acceptable hotel call the Akai in Canmore.

Yes, definitely get JoJo's book, that's a good place to start. Staying at the rampart creek hostel will put you in good range to lots of neat stuff. The only problem is you'll have to cart in your own food and gas if you stay for a few nights since you are pretty far out on the parkway. The lake lousie hostel also gets you reasonably close to some cool climbs if you are looking for a more touristy place to stay or want to do the nightlife thing for a night or two. I was pretty impressed with how nice that hostel was.

Depending on what level of ice climber you are, you'll find lots of stuff for you in the book. If the avy conditions are low, I think the stuff in the lady wilson's / polar circus area was really neat. lady wilson's cleavage is a really cool long ramble climb that we found to be a good solo since none of the pitches were very long. Once on top of that climb, there are plenty other of good climbs in the basin you top out in.

I also thought midnight rambler was a fun moderate climb in that same area.

From West to East

Golden to Field - An hour

Field to Lake Louise about 30 minutes

Lake Louise to Banff about 45 min +

Lake Louise to Bow Summit about a little less than an hour

Lake Louise to Saskatechewan River Crossing about an hour and a half?

Banff to Canmore about 30 minutes

Canmore to Calgary about an hour

Alex

Toast, there are some musts for 1st timers to the area. Depending on which way you approach. From the west you can stop in kicking horse canyon and do something close to the road and then keep going and not lose a day of just driving. Ditto if you come from the south (Gibralter wall). Or hit one on the way in and one on the way out. If you begin from the west, stop in Field and do Guiness Gully if safe. Go all the way to very top for a fun day. Maybe do a harder pillar for 2 days in field. Stop in Lake Louise and stay at hostle. From there you can do Louise Falls (harder than it looks) and socialize with fur laden babes. Or you could make a day trip to Murchison Falls for an "alpine" ice climb (bring snowshoes). I think you must drive the icefields parkway and get on the weeping wall and look at Polar Circus to get pumped for future trips. For 2 days up there, stay a night at Rampart Creek hostle. Then if you want to venture down to Banff/Canmore (Canmore hotel or Alpine club) you got a fun day in Johnston Canyon (really steep top-roping and beautiful to boot). Gotto canyon is an easy "rest" day. Professors is a classic, fun climb with walk off descent and good views to the trophy wall. I recommend Prof. way over Cascade (dangerous). All this will keep you busy for a week, present challenging, fun climbing and help you get a feel for how the whole area lays out. You'll be BAAAAAACK!!

Arnold

Why is this thread so wide?

Edited by David_Parker

Toast said:

Hafner looks like good stuff cool.gif

As far as lodging, how far are these towns apart from one another? I don't have the book yet and don't know the geography very well. I see there's Banff, Canmore, lake Louise... Sorry to be so gumby Geek_em8.gif

FYI- Keep in mind that Haffner will probably be closed for the season because of the fires that they had this year. This also goes for the stanley headwall. Huge Bummer!!!! frown.gif

dale