scott

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan_Harris said:

scott said:

ahh, can anyone tell me how to get this wine bottle open without a corkscrew? thnkx

No need for a corkscrew, I just twist off the aluminum cap. tongue.gifbigdrink.gif

Actually there are some wines now-a-days that are pretty decent that have screw caps. They just haven't really become too popular because screw caps have always been associated with cheap wines. If you don't have a corkscrew, I would remmond buying those in the future.

I guess read down through the page before replying AlpineK and Ehmmic already covered it. bigdrink.gif

The wine industry would love to have everyone go to twist off screwcaps, but a collector will always sneer at such a thing.

A first growth bordeaux vintner such as "margaux" or even a premier cru like "romanee conti" would never put a screw on cap on their precious wines, it just wouldn't fly.

I can't even see Leonetti Cellars doing such a thing

scot'teryx said:

The wine industry would love to have everyone go to twist off screwcaps, but a collector will always sneer at such a thing.

A first growth bordeaux vintner such as "margaux" or even a premier cru like "romanee conti" would never put a screw on cap on their precious wines, it just wouldn't fly.

omfg you are a snob. moon.gifwazzup.gif

Coolest thing I've used is one of those "cork-popper" style cork removers. Has a thick needle on a handle, and you hook up a NO Whippit to it.

Remove foil, insert needle, push end of Whippit, POP! Bottle's open. After the wine is done, inhale NO from the Whippit for more good times! thumbs_up.gifcantfocus.gif

If you had done your research on wine you would have found that the industry has indeed perfected synthetic stoppers for wine...both twist ons and push ins like the cork stoppers of old and present. What the industry did find is that the consumers of wine are snobs and whiners. Even in the face of evidence that the new stoppers and twist tops are equal if not better in some instances in persevering the liquid they, the consumer, still scream for the "old cork" in belief its a status symbol.

sobo said:

Coolest thing I've used is one of those "cork-popper" style cork removers. Has a thick needle on a handle, and you hook up a NO wippet to it.

Remove foil, insert needle, push end of wippet, POP! Bottle's open. After the wine is done, inhale NO from the wippet for more good times! thumbs_up.gifcantfocus.gif

those things are wicked cool. i be waiting for the action movie where 007 sticks one in the carotid to f up the bad guy.

lummox said:

scot'teryx said:

omfg you are a snob. moon.gifwazzup.gif

I worked in the vino industry for a few years......hence the snobbish appearance mad.gif

lummox said:

sobo said:

Coolest thing I've used is one of those "cork-popper" style cork removers. Has a thick needle on a handle, and you hook up a NO wippet to it.

Remove foil, insert needle, push end of wippet, POP! Bottle's open. After the wine is done, inhale NO from the wippet for more good times! thumbs_up.gifcantfocus.gif

those things are wicked cool. i be waiting for the action movie where 007 sticks one in the carotid to f up the bad guy.

Ya know, I always thought that'd be a great way to kill someone, too. Shot 'em up with an embolism - PSSS! Deader'n a doornail.

lummox said:

scot'teryx said:

I worked in the vino industry for a few years......hence the snobbish appearance mad.gif

well. that is one excuse. i had some dealings with http://www.koenigwinery.com/ and them brothers are chill. they support mountain bike races in idaho. buy their wine. use a corkscrew. or not.

fruit.gifbigdrink.giffruit.gifbigdrink.gif

How was their Grappa?

that shit will kick yo ass!

Alpine_Tom said:

You can hold it on its side and gently, repeatedly, bang the base of the bottle against the wall. The cork will gradually work its way out.

I lost a bet once while traveling in Europe. A very large German named Helmut bet me he could open a bottle of wine without using a corkscrew, breaking the bottle or pushing the cork into the bottle. I accepted and he proceeded to smack the butt of the bottle repeatedly with a very large and powerful hand. The cork slowly inched it's way out until it protruded enough for Helmut to grab it and pull it out. Later, while skiing on a glacier we had the same dilemma. With gloved hands we tried to repeat Helmut's stunt, but it hurt too much. I think we used a sneaker and smacked it with that until the cork came out enough for us to grab it. bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

so these days i see a lot of those rubber or whatever corks and i'm totally hip to that. but it begs the question - if you're gonna use a rubber cork, why not just use twist-off?

i hereby officially give trader joe's permission to go twist-off.

and then there's non-twist-off beer.

anybody know if terminal gravity twist off?

sisu_suomi said:

If you had done your research on wine you would have found that the industry has indeed perfected synthetic stoppers for wine...both twist ons and push ins like the cork stoppers of old and present. What the industry did find is that the consumers of wine are snobs and whiners. Even in the face of evidence that the new stoppers and twist tops are equal if not better in some instances in persevering the liquid they, the consumer, still scream for the "old cork" in belief its a status symbol.

the real cork stopper is just so traditional, and true connoisseurs save and use the corks from their favorite bottles of wine for all sorts of things.

I imagine that the cork vs synthetic debate rages as strongly in the wine industry as trad vs sprot does in ours.

I've used a method I haven't seen mentioned yet so here it is:

Screw a 1 1/4" drywall (or other) screw straight into cork until there is just enough space between the head of the screw and the cork to fit the claw of a hammer, use the hammer to pull the cork & screw.

Or just push the cork in.

David_Parker said:

Alpine_Tom said:

You can hold it on its side and gently, repeatedly, bang the base of the bottle against the wall. The cork will gradually work its way out.

I lost a bet once while traveling in Europe. A very large German named Helmut bet me he could open a bottle of wine without using a corkscrew, breaking the bottle or pushing the cork into the bottle. I accepted and he proceeded to smack the butt of the bottle repeatedly with a very large and powerful hand. The cork slowly inched it's way out until it protruded enough for Helmut to grab it and pull it out. Later, while skiing on a glacier we had the same dilemma. With gloved hands we tried to repeat Helmut's stunt, but it hurt too much. I think we used a sneaker and smacked it with that until the cork came out enough for us to grab it. bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

I guess it's a European technique, where they don't have drywall screws or cordless drills. The guy who showed me learned it as an exchange student in Russia. But it's a very useful technique to use when you're moving (in or out) and all the kitchen stuff is packed.

David_Parker said:

Alpine_Tom said:

My climbing partner tried the hold & smack method a few years ago, about a week before we were suppose to climb Stuart. Bottle shattered - sliced finger tendon - end of climbing season. frown.gif

cork trees are becoming scarcer and scarcer, they only grow in one area of the world i believe (medditreanean spain /portugal i believe) which presents a problem to the wine industry as well, so synthetic corks will become more common.

if you buy table wine by the 4 liter jug for 'table wine' in europe, it will have a screw cap. italy has a colloqualism for them, i believe