Need some advice

dryad

I have the opportunity to take 6 months off work (Jan-June 2004) and am trying to figure out how to spend that time. The one constraint is that I don't want to spend too much money. I'm considering moving out to the Mazama area for a while and being a ski bum. Anybody got a room to rent out that way? Any other ideas?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dryad said:

I have the opportunity to take 6 months off work (Jan-June 2004) and am trying to figure out how to spend that time. The one constraint is that I don't want to spend too much money. I'm considering moving out to the Mazama area for a while and being a ski bum. Anybody got a room to rent out that way? Any other ideas?

Mexico. Potrero Chico in Jan. Cheap. Awesome. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Spring, Early summer: New River Gorge. Cheap camping close to the climbing and low cost of living. Amazing climbing thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

My $.02 wave.gif

boatskiclimbsail said:

If you go to Potrero, don't miss new years. MASSIVE partying in the middle of rural Mexico, climbers from all over the world. Even us non-alcoholics can appreciate the liter of beer one can acquire for 15 pesos ($1.20)

$1.20!!! SHEEEET! You a big spenda...

I can get dat kinda action jes down da street!

sign93.jpg

mattp said:

Head for Thailand/Nepal/Indonesia. You can easily spend 6 months in Asia and have it be cheaper than staying home - including the airfare.

thumbs_up.gifmy vote... Bali is good for a party, but Thailand and Nepal should be visited by everyone who loves climbing and adventure.

But this is good beer bigdrink.gif. Checo's restaurant will also serve you 4 or 5 square feet of food for 40 pesos. We always left with the next day's lunch, lol.

Alpinfox said:

boatskiclimbsail said:

If you go to Potrero, don't miss new years. MASSIVE partying in the middle of rural Mexico, climbers from all over the world. Even us non-alcoholics can appreciate the liter of beer one can acquire for 15 pesos ($1.20)

$1.20!!! SHEEEET! You a big spenda...

I can get dat kinda action jes down da street!

sign93.jpg

ChucK -

I believe that I WOULD travel to Indonesia at this point in time, though I haven't read the latest State Department warnings. If you travel as a backpacker, staying in low-end cabana's that are perfectly nice, I bet you wouldn't have any worry of a problem. When I was in Thailand, they warned us NOT to take first-class busses and trains because these get robbed more often and the fancier resorts, too, are much more of a target for terrorists or kidnappers.

last year between oct 18 and jan 11 i spent $400 going to red rocks, moab, phx, zion, mammoth and then to the canadian rockies. after that i spent another $200 climbing at index everyday till march 1st.

granted i had friends in all locations to assist with many needs, but it is possible to travel extremly cheap.