us: hellno3d.gif

Getting ready to climb Ginger Snap, a girl comes up to me and asks:

"What are you going to climb?

"Ginger Snap"

"Oh, it looks like you're going to climb this one (points to "Lichen it")"

"nope, that one back there, see it?"

"Oh well, can we climb this one then?"

"Ask them"

as I point to a LINE OF PEOPLE WAITING TO CLIMB.

One lovely Fall day a couple years ago, DFA and a group of PDXers were lounging over near Churning. Looking over toward the Peanut, we see a climber TRing one of the routes, and his belayer about 50 feet downhill from the main trail, slowly walking backwards down the hill to take in slack. Nice innovative belay technique, there, and environmentally responsible to boot!

Another season, DFA saw a fellow head up on a free-solo attempt of Zebra Zion. Leaving the jugs atop Gumby/Zebra Direct/etc., he seemed to re-evaluate his choice, and climbed back to the ground. A while later, he was visible again at the crux above his previous high point, this time with a couple pieces of gear in the crack, to which he was attached with long daisy chains. Apparently the not-so-bold soloist hadn't heard about what happens to you and your gear in a completely static fall arrest. Fortunately, he didn't blow the moves, as there were plenty of folks below Mr. Daisies to break his fall. hellno3d.gif

bunglehead said:

One time as I was walking out of the park, I was walking past 5 Gallon Buckets, and there at the third bolt, was this big fat guy, that clipped himself to the bolt with a daisy chain, and was untying from the rope!! WTF?!!

I quickened my pace.

yellaf.gif

Leaving the area quickly is usually the best policy when confronted with potentially life-threatening idiocy.

yelrotflmao.gif