rumr

scott_harpell

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It is true that an overhang will result in some outward force on a piece of gear, but I believe that climbers who are used to falling off of overhangs onto bolts (gym climbers, largely) will develop a habit of jumping away from the rock as they fall - and this may not be a good practice when they fall on stoppers.

mattp said:

It is true that an overhang will result in some outward force on a piece of gear, but I believe that climbers who are used to falling off of overhangs onto bolts (gym climbers, largely) will develop a habit of jumping away from the rock as they fall - and this may not be a good practice when they fall on stoppers.

thank you bigdrink.gif

mattp said:

I agree and have seen this. BAD HABBIT in my opinion. I take mt scraped knees and elbows Thanks.

mattp said:

His original post said specifically " SPORTOS ", there, Matt. Last time I checked "sportos" don't place stoppers. rolleyes.gif

mattp said:

Not true matt...no one i know deliberately jumps out...that is a limestone route, and my guess is that it overhangs 20 degrees or more at the rating posted...

FWIW...i've never seen solid 5.12 or 5.13 climbers "jumping" out from a wall...that is something a beginner does...There is flatout no need to hurl oneself out from the wall...particularly from an overhanging route...additionally, a failed dyno out an overhang may create the illusion of jumping out, when in fact it was just a failure to latch a hold...

This is a stupid posting...if you saw some "sporto" jumping out, he/she obviously didn't know what they were doing...

how do you know he wasn't dynoing??? I've never seen me or my friends jumping out from a wall at any place in the world...that is totally stupid...The only route i've ever "jumped out" on was at index so i didn't splatter a ledge/spike...

W/o knowing the context that picture was taken in, you can't use it to support your claim...and as a side point, you are using it to support a false claim...any of your buddies that sport climb jump out??

Edited by RuMR

W/o knowing the context that picture was taken in, you can't use it to support your claim...and as a side point, you are using it to support a false claim...

what context? do you see a ledge? if he was dynoing, wouldn't he have more rope out? i dont know why you care so much, i just pointed out to a climber new to the sport something to think about. sheesh. nothin to shit a brick over lad.