rumr

scott_harpell

scott_harpell said:

W/o knowing the context that picture was taken in, you can't use it to support your claim...and as a side point, you are using it to support a false claim...

what context? do you see a ledge? if he was dynoing, wouldn't he have more rope out? i dont know why you care so much, i just pointed out to a climber new to the sport something to think about. sheesh. nothin to shit a brick over lad.

Who's shitting a brick? You posted this...i never said it was a good idea to jump out...i just said "sport" climbers don't jump out...

You have no idea how much rope was INITIALLY out, do you? did his belayer pull a Mattp and yank in rope? Did rope fall back through the qd? Did he already drop far enough to begin reeling the rope back through the qd? You don't know and the danube is runout as all hell...so he could have pitched a good 4 meters or more out...You have no clue as to where he initially launched from, as well as whether a dynamic move was the start of his fall, or whether he was laying directly out on a tufa or a flake (this would cause a straight out initial launch)...

I guarantee you that guy didn't jump out...and if he did he had a routespecific reason...There are pictures of that guy climbing 5.12 offwidths and hard cracks...he knows what he's doing...

Edited by RuMR

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

RuMR said:

iain said:

indeed

15989.jpg

HA HA HA...check out the "quickdraw" hanging from his harness?? Where's he gonna clip that too??? Sheesh..what a "sporto"?!?! yellaf.gifrolleyes.gif

what is your point? that does not mean that he would not jump out on a sport route. you even acknowledged that you sometimes jump out to avoid obstacles. could this not be a habit for the new trad leader? that is afterall the point as it was placed in the newbies section after a sport climber wanted to try trad. yellaf.gif

My point is no one "jumps" out on purpose on any route just for the hell of it...whether they are a sport or trad climber...and i'd launch out over a cam or super well set nut if there was ledging-out possibility...just tell my belayer, keep it freaking loose so you don't load the gear until you are way way under it...additionally, for Matt, jumping out on overhangs only increases the slam into the wall...so that is obviously counterintuitive to the statement that "overhang sport climbers jump out"...have you climbed a lot of overhangs???

YOU used the original post to slam sport climbers, why, i don't know...i stated that all of the sport climbers (who actually just climb, period) that i know don't just jump out...

And for muffy, jumping out on anything less than vertical? Never seen that before either...

I'm done w/ this argument...don't jump out unless you are gonna slap something and then do it right...

YOU used the original post to slam sport climbers, why, i don't know..

no i didn't. i said for a enwbie to be aware that jumping out on gear is more dangerous than on bolts. i didn't say that there were not contexts for this jumping or whatever. she was a newbie and as you have pointed out, newbies jump away for the rock. concede because you are wrong. look up the thread if you want. wazzup.gif

RuMR said:

My point is no one "jumps" out on purpose on any route just for the hell of it...whether they are a sport or trad climber...and i'd launch out over a cam or super well set nut if there was ledging-out possibility...just tell my belayer, keep it freaking loose so you don't load the gear until you are way way under it...additionally, for Matt, jumping out on overhangs only increases the slam into the wall...so that is obviously counterintuitive to the statement that "overhang sport climbers jump out"...have you climbed a lot of overhangs???

YOU used the original post to slam sport climbers, why, i don't know...i stated that all of the sport climbers (who actually just climb, period) that i know don't just jump out...

And for muffy, jumping out on anything less than vertical? Never seen that before either...

I'm done w/ this argument...don't jump out unless you are gonna slap something and then do it right...

it has actulaly been sugested to me to do some "jummping" to over come my fear of falling on lead. I wasn't realy following this thred. I still have not tried jummping to deal with the fear. The way the guy is commming off the rock in the photo on this thred would concern me because I would beaffraid I would tumble backwords. I get srapped up when I fall because I am generaly still trying to hang on wink.gifbigdrink.gif cheers Rumr grin.gif

P.s. saw some freak at smith when I was last there doing som jummping on purpose. he wasn't even trying to climb... he was just jummping. it was pretty weird.

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

RuMR said:

Hi Muff!

Jumping off is different than jumping out!! It helps to log some air time...find a nice clean route and huck away!

Are you at smiff this weekend?? I'll be there for a saturday-only sesh!

HI BUDDY grin.gif not til november... and then I am only a maybe... GOD I HATE TO DRIVE cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif