Elliot Smith is Dead

E-rock

You often hear of celebrities dying, and are saddened but not surprised. It seemed like John Lee Hooker's time was coming for a while. Same with Johnny Cash.

I was never a huge Elliot Smith fan, but I've always respected his music. It's a bizarre kind of empty shock I feel to be listening to KEXP and hear he's gone.

From the website

Steven Paul (Elliott) Smith. August 6, 1969 – October 21, 2003. Elliott Smith was born on August 6, 1969 in Omaha, Nebraska. Elliott spent his childhood near Dallas, Texas where he began his musical training at the age of nine, winning a local award for original composition at the age of ten.

Elliott relocated to Portland, Oregon as a Sophomore at Lincoln High School where he was achieved the rank of National Merit Scholar. During his time at Lincoln High School, Elliott joined the band “Stranger Than Fiction” in which he composed music and performed until his graduation in 1987.

Elliott later attended Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts, where he majored in Philosophy and Political Science. During his time at Hampshire, Elliott, known then as Elliott Stillwater Rotter, co-founded the band “A Murder of Crows”. He later became a member of well know band “Heatmiser”. It was during this time that Elliott began to release music as a solo artist.

During his lifetime, Elliott released five full-length albums as a solo artist as well as a number of singles. Elliott was nominated for an Academy Award for “Miss Misery”, his musical contribution to the Academy Award winning movie, “Good Will Hunting”.

At the time of his death, Elliott was recording his sixth album, “From A Basement on the Hill”.

Elliott is survived by a host of family, friends and fans.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heard that late last night on the radio. I don't think I'd heard his music 'till they played 3 songs just before 1 am when they announced it. I liked it.

What strikes me most is that he was the same age as me and died by suicide. How very sad. Makes me wonder what troubled him so much.

ehmmic said:

Heard that late last night on the radio. I don't think I'd heard his music 'till they played 3 songs just before 1 am when they announced it. I liked it.

What strikes me most is that he was the same age as me and died by suicide. How very sad. Makes me wonder what troubled him so much.

Fuck around with heroin, you're bound to hit bottom hard sooner or later. frown.gif

Perhaps after a proper grieving period, we can begin to analyze this event so that we can figure out what went wrong and thereby learn a valuable lesson about how to prevent future accidents of this sort. rolleyes.gif Personally, I think his mistake was the part where he stabbed himself in the chest, but I don't want to be too hasty; all the details aren't known yet. rolleyes.gif

In any case, my condolences to friends and family. rolleyes.gif

I never saw Elliot on his solo concerts but I saw Heatmiser play many many times. He and the other bands of that time, Hazel, 30.06 etc formed a pretty intense littlle community in Portland for several years. His contribution was missed when he split for a while and never seemed to regain its momentum.

trask said:

good riddance to the cocksucker

I would have been pissed when I first read this, had I not anticipated it. You're so fucking predictable it's laughable, Trask. The only thing I'm disappointed by is the fact that it took you this long to piss on the dead, idiot.

Note to self: this is the kind of passive agression that comes from the frustration of not being a smart enough to get a good white collar job, but not having the skills to be a good blue collar worker.

Insurance: The ugly middle ground.

Erik is further proof of this - they both deal in insurance rolleyes.gifthe_finger.gif

Hey fucker, I find your analysis laughable. You know nothing about me. BTW, having been in construction for many years when I was young and foolish, I'll say this...carpenters are fucking morons; a notch below roofers on the brainpower scale. They're known for beating their wives and cheating on their taxes. Most drive with no insurance, let alone a license. Painters and carpenters are also super-drunken alcoholics and social misfits.

mistere you come to this conclusion how? i would really think that my job has little to do with anything in regards to repersentation of myself. i don't like to work plain and simple. this job offers me decent money and lotsa vacation doing something that i could careless about it.

seems like a nice job. my passive agression stems from the fact that i am so annoyed by the way people post on this board(myself included), but since i cannot change it, i will just be as fucking annoying as most of the other people around here.

hope that makes sense pal! now i am off for 6 days!

the_finger.gif

scott_harpell said:

i would really think that my job has little to do with anything in regards to repersentation of myself.

yeah! he was an asshole before he became an insurance man. get yo facts straight foo!

werd up!! just like you were a molested retarded choir boy before you became an annoying idiot!

hahaha.giffruit.gifbigdrink.gif