E-rock

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alpinfox said:

Perhaps after a proper grieving period, we can begin to analyze this event so that we can figure out what went wrong and thereby learn a valuable lesson about how to prevent future accidents of this sort. Personally, I think his mistake was the part where he stabbed himself in the chest, but I don't want to be too hasty; all the details aren't known yet.

In any case, my condolences to friends and family.

I'm not convinced that the self-inflicted knife wound to the chest was the actual cause of this terrible accident. We really need to wait for all of the information before we jump to any conclusions.

Elliot was a a very experienced depressed junky artist. He spent a lot of time around knives, and wrote a lot of dark, depressed songs about death, depression, loneliness, and suicide. But a simple mistake like stabbing yourself in the chest with a knife doesn't seem to me like a mistake big enough to kill someone. There has to be more to the story. Perhaps with the help of skilled journalists like NEWSTIPS, and her carcass prodding colleagues, we can get to the true cause, and make the world safe for people with self inflicted knife wounds to the chest. And as a community, it doesn't hurt to endlessly speculate without enough information, and to offer forth your own ill-formed oppinions, as if they really matter. Perhaps you can share your own near death self inflicted knife wound to the chest stories, so that this tragedy can be forgotten beneath an endless stream of "Me, me, me." self-gratifying expounding, and the eventual vitriol that accompanys it, with the Final Word going to Trask: "Your mother is a dirty whore."

But this can also be a time for self-reflection. I for one know that I will keep Elliots dream alive. To celebrate the life of Elliot Smith, and depressed suicidal junky artists with self inflicted knife wounds to the chest, I am announcing that I have made plans to become the first person to sing Elliot Smith's "Waltz #2" from the summit of Denali with a knife sticking out of my chest.

People, PLEASE be careful. You don't have to be a depressed junky artist with a knife sticking out of your chest to get hurt out there.