audiophiles

scott_harpell

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have, for sale, a massively powerful amp. It is a "power amp," meaning you need a radio receiver and a pre-amp as separate units, that kicks out 225 watts per side, and was when built the absolute top of the line. It's called "Ampzilla" and it has been completely factory rebuilt (upgraded), so it REALLY KICKS ASS. You need Ampzilla if you really want to rock, and if you don't have a lot of drunk friends running your sound system (it is a little wild and you can blow speakers and stuff). Send me a p.m.

By the way - analogue rocks. I have a lot of vinyl and I like it! Unfortunately, everything new is ditgitally mastered so it seems that you just can't get new music that is all that good on vinyl.

When the white lightening is flowing, I pretty quickly find that I cannot even run my own stereo. The cartridge connections on my turntable are prone to dust problems and connection irregularities that just don't seem to be easy to handle after serious drinking! There's a reason that "kids these days" like cd's, I think. If you hit the wrong button, no harm is done.

scott_harpell said:

looking into upgrading my receiver. i have some energy speakers (canuck made), and am an analogue freak. 80% of my listening is on vinyl. any suggestions. brands you have and like. DFA? oh and not tooo spendy. also i do run through my comp. thanks in advance.

How much you looking to spend? And do you want a receiver (i.e. amp and radio) or just an integrated amp? Tons of options out there as far as integrated amps, although many don't have a phono stage, so you have to buy an outboard one, although if you're not super picky you can get a pretty solid outboard phono stage for around a hundred bucks that'll be more than adequate for most listening. And what are your sources? You don't need to be dropping megabucks on an amp if your sources are ho-hum, unless you plan on upgrading in the future -- which you might, once you take a listen to some shit at the audio store.

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

scott_harpell said:

looking into upgrading my receiver. i have some energy speakers (canuck made), and am an analogue freak. 80% of my listening is on vinyl. any suggestions. brands you have and like. DFA? oh and not tooo spendy. also i do run through my comp. thanks in advance.

How much you looking to spend? And do you want a receiver (i.e. amp and radio) or just an integrated amp? Tons of options out there as far as integrated amps, although many don't have a phono stage, so you have to buy an outboard one, although if you're not super picky you can get a pretty solid outboard phono stage for around a hundred bucks that'll be more than adequate for most listening. And what are your sources? You don't need to be dropping megabucks on an amp if your sources are ho-hum, unless you plan on upgrading in the future -- which you might, once you take a listen to some shit at the audio store.

lookin at $600- 800 i have phono pre-amp already, so assume this is what you are talking about.

By the way - analogue rocks. I have a lot of vinyl and I like it! Unfortunately, everything new is ditgitally mastered so it seems that you just can't get new music that is all that good on vinyl.

that is why i buy old stuff. i typically look for 'new' unopened older recordings. for classical, i find the the recordings are much better ie their musians are much more aware of what is going on in the piece and are more refined technically. CD's are the devil, but the devil has taken over new music, so best not throw that CD player in the circular file just yet (at least until DVD audio becomes more popular). ma too sense

scott_harpell said:

very aesthetic, but unfortunately i couldn't give two shits about the casing. those things are what? $3000-$4000? lil' outta the price range. cry.gif

the casing? looks like dork crap to me. it is the guts of the stuff that make it work so well. but id rather buy a decent car than the crazy mad bitchin amplifier stuff. its not like my tapes are in stereo anyways. hellno3d.gif

AmberBuxom said:

scott_harpell said:

very aesthetic, but unfortunately i couldn't give two shits about the casing. those things are what? $3000-$4000? lil' outta the price range. cry.gif

the casing? looks like dork crap to me. it is the guts of the stuff that make it work so well. but id rather buy a decent car than the crazy mad bitchin amplifier stuff. its not like my tapes are in stereo anyways. hellno3d.gif

yellaf.gifyelrotflmao.gifthumbs_up.gif

scott_harpell said:

lookin at $600- 800 i have phono pre-amp already, so assume this is what you are talking about.

So, do you have a pre-amp for your other source(s) also? Or were you running the phono pre into an integrated amp or receiver?

If need an integrated so you can run line-level sources in (i.e. CD, cassette), check out NAD. NAD has really natural-sounding gear, and you can get a pretty beefy amp for the low end of what you're looking to spend. You might also be able to get into a low-end Arcam amp such as the A75 plus for around 8 or 9 hundred. Marantz would be another solid bet (DFA has the PM 7000, Marantz's only integrated, which is plenty powerful, nicely built, clean aesthetics, and runs around 3 or 4 hundred). Rotel is probably another safe bet, although DFA has never heard any of their stuff. If you can find a used Creek 5350SE, you could be stoked (it's about 1300 or so new, and is supposed to rule over amps costing much more).

Of course, your local hi-fi store might not carry any of that, so you really should head down and listen to what they have and find out what might pair well with your existing components (maybe you can find an amp that's the same brand as your current phono pre-amp?).

Try http://www.stereophile.com , http://www.stereotimes.com , or http://www.6moons.com for reviews, all of which have extensive online archives of gear in most any price range.