audiophiles

scott_harpell

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

scott_harpell said:

looking into upgrading my receiver. i have some energy speakers (canuck made), and am an analogue freak. 80% of my listening is on vinyl. any suggestions. brands you have and like. DFA? oh and not tooo spendy. also i do run through my comp. thanks in advance.

Not too sure you're going to find a new tube receiver but if you want to go without the radio section both Creek and Musical Fidelity both make good, affordable tube integrated amps for modest power needs. You can also post to the newsgroups listed under rec.audio

Downhill said:

scott_harpell said:

looking into upgrading my receiver. i have some energy speakers (canuck made), and am an analogue freak. 80% of my listening is on vinyl. any suggestions. brands you have and like. DFA? oh and not tooo spendy. also i do run through my comp. thanks in advance.

Not too sure you're going to find a new tube receiver but if you want to go without the radio section both Creek and Musical Fidelity both make good, affordable tube integrated amps for modest power needs. You can also post to the newsgroups listed under rec.audio

Isn't MF's cheapest tubed integrated the A308cr? Isn't that rig pushing $3k? The A3.2 integrated is about $1300, but it's solid state. Bitching amp, though. Hey, what about the Unison Research Unico? That's got the ever popular tubed input/solid state output combo, and all the reviewers seem to love that. Someone in the SeaWA area might carry that. Atoll and Cairn seem popular with tube lovers too, despite being solid state (and also very modestly powered); they are both supposed to be good bets in the ca. $1k price range.

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

Downhill said:

scott_harpell said:

Isn't MF's cheapest tubed integrated the A308cr? Isn't that rig pushing $3k? The A3.2 integrated is about $1300, but it's solid state. Bitching amp, though. Hey, what about the Unison Research Unico? That's got the ever popular tubed input/solid state output combo, and all the reviewers seem to love that. Someone in the SeaWA area might carry that. Atoll and Cairn seem popular with tube lovers too, despite being solid state (and also very modestly powered); they are both supposed to be good bets in the ca. $1k price range.

That's all well and good, but here's the best system for the true audiophile.