Climbing Movie

CraigA

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by rr666:
Mission impossible 2. I can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet. Tom Cruise is the best Hollywood climber around!!

grin.gif" border="0

I heard Tom Cruise can climb around 5.11, and could quit hollywood and be a bold climber. Plus he's wearing 5.10 Ascent's in the movie, which are great shoes, that I went out and got after seeing that movie.

The 1940's film "The White Tower." I only saw it once on Turner Classic Movies, but it had it *all*. Himalayan setting, Yeti, Swiss guide, manky piton placement, and the guy gets the girl too! No, it's not colorized. Bonus. Maybe Gary Cooper? Rex Harrison? Not sure. confused.gif" border="0

My favorite "ridiculous prop" in a climbing movie has got to be the "bolt gun" Sly uses in C'hanger. If anyone hasn't seen it, Sly is leading up something (I can't remember if he has a belayer, but I'm guessing not), and every time he needs some fall protection, he uses his cordless drill to pop in a hanger and bolt, which is conveniently pre-attached to a QD and rope. Pretty handy stuff, if you ask me! Think of the places I could go with a setup like that. grin.gif" border="0

Dwayner, please hold your fire. wink.gif" border="0

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: allison ]

Info for Honkeydong:

"The White Tower"Release year: 1950Color or B&W: ColorFrom novel by: James Ramsey Ullman Scripted by: Paul JarricoDirected by: Ted TetzlaffSetting: French AlpsNotable actors: Glenn Ford, Claude Rains, Lloyd Bridges (all dead-men)Yeti: noRomance: yes

Comment for Terrapin: "Eiger Sanction" best 'climbing' movie of all time? You must be joking.

A better question would be: what's the worst climbing movie of all time? I usually avoid these like the plague, but I can aver that "Cliffhanger" was pretty bad, as was "K-2", which, incidentally, was not filmed at all in the Karakoram.

Info for IceIceBaby:

It's not "Six Days One Summer" but "FIVE Days One Summer". Honest mistake.Release year: 1983Color or B&W: ColorDirector: Fred Zinnemann. Excellent director, which is too bad; movie should have been better.Story by: Kay Boyle

The White Tower was filmed around Mt. Blanc and is supposed mto represent a unclimbed peak in neutral Switzerland during WW2. Lloyd Bridges plays a young hot shot nazi who climbs for the fatherland. It is a good representation of western impressions of nazi fanaticism. Much of which was supposedly carried out on the Eiger.

The Rebuffat movies are by far the best treatment climbing has ever had! They are movie versions of his books: "Between Heaven and Earth", "Starlight and Storm" and "Neige Et Roc". Rebuffat came to the USA acouple of times in the early 70s and showed his films. They are spectacular! They rely upon the spiritual rewards of climbing for their grace. They also caught the beauty of the high Alps and the technical climbing is well done. Someone should get the rights to them and sell or show them.