Scott_J

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer

in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is

taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be

a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is

bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the

wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh?

and know of wite i dont hve the sorce, so su me!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

sisu_suomi said:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer

in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is

taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be

a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is

bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the

wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh?

and know of wite i dont hve the sorce, so su me!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

snoboy said:

I can read that, it slowed me down a little, Muffy has us well trained. yellaf.gif

I notice she didn't use any WORDS to reply! Haha! fruit.gif

wink.gif I still need a muffy to english dictionary. I spell so poorly that spell check has no idea what I mean most of the time blush.gif

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Our minds evolved as pattern recognizers. I bet you'd have a hard time recognizing the meaning of the paragraph if you changed the ordering of the words within the sentences. I wonder if that task would be made easier if you were fluent in many languages and consequently were experienced in dealing with different syntax.

I'm inclined to think that it's not so much reordering the letters in the scrambled word as it is simply filling in the blanks. You could probably lose some words in the sentence and still convey the meaning. If you possess any vocabulary, your mind will complete the sentence. If you're dealing with a larger word that taken out of its context, then it'll be more difficult. Alan Watts' had one of these words in "The Wisdom of Insecurity - A Message for an Age of Anxiety." Here's what he says:

"Take for example the anagram POCATELDIMC. You can work over these letters for hours, trying system after system of rearrangement in order to discover the scrambled word. Try, instead, just looking at the anagram with a relaxed mind, and in a very short space of time you brain will deliver the answer without the slightest effort."

I couldn't get relaxed enough, so I cheated with a word unscrambler.