Most idiotic place you've found free gear?

mr.radon

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

erik said:

gnibmilc said:

speaking of which...is the Petzel bent gate key lock carabiner yours or not? it was very shiny, has a certain color tape on it, and was perched too well to have been sitting long. btw, the freaking horizontal crack/ledge that shoots left from the dihedral on the NW face was hillarious. 50m+ around the north side...thought i was seeing SEWS before i turned around. do you or dru know what that thing is?

NOPE I DONT USE PETZL BINERS.....

I THINK THAT ROUTE IS THE BARBER POLE?? BUT I WOULD NEED A MORE CLEAR DEFINTION OF WHAT YOU SAW!!

NICE UPPER PITCHES EH??

bigdrink.gif

yeah, good pitches in general, really. the squeeze was pretty fun, if you like that kind of stuff, and the loose flakes were solid enough to climb on, and yeah, the dihederal pitches were pretty cool. if you recall about 30m up from the tree belay at which you last saw me, there was a very obvious flake/horn comprised of oatmeally rock...at that point a very obvious purely horizonal crack/ledge shot left until out of site. it goes on at least 50m with nothing but lichen covered stuff above it. the topos for that area are all pretty off the mark so far as i could tell. that carabiner must be ***n's or **u's. it is a curse to have other peoples gear.

The first booty I ever claimed was stupid. In 79 a buddy and I decided to climb Picacho Peak in Arizona. Mostly a scramble no help required. About 300 feet short of the summit we found a rope hung up in some bushes. About 30 feet south on the traverse was a crude via ferrata that took us all the way up if we wanted. I figured whoever lost that rope couldn't possibly of fallen on it.

Most stupidest place I've lost gear....

Mt. Erie parking lot. Finished climbing at dark. Starting drinking in the parking lot with partner. As we drove off the truck bounced a bit, at the time I figured I'd drove over a pothole. Got home and low and behold...no fucking rope. I'm an idiot!

Edited by MtnHigh

wazzumountaineer said:

yea, well, i found three 24oz PBRs just above the Timberline Lodge on Hood last November. Stuck right in the snow, glistening in the sun, just waiting for me... bigdrink.gif

Hm, that reminds me of the beers we stashed four days earlier in the Miller River the other weekend....came back to find the bottles smashed by the side of the river and the beer all gone. madgo_ron.gif

You sure those beers were homeless...or were they just home alone? wazzup.gif

marylou said:

wazzumountaineer said:

yea, well, i found three 24oz PBRs just above the Timberline Lodge on Hood last November. Stuck right in the snow, glistening in the sun, just waiting for me... bigdrink.gif

Hm, that reminds me of the beers we stashed four days earlier in the Miller River the other weekend....came back to find the bottles smashed by the side of the river and the beer all gone. madgo_ron.gif

You sure those beers were homeless...or were they just home alone? wazzup.gif

sorry babe, but thanks for the brew! bigdrink.gifthumbs_up.gif

I find endless numbers of cam hooks. I have 4 right now, I've already given away two. Let's see, other than that... I found a gri gri once, complete with locker. Lots of biners' on the tooth, but they all belonged to the party of mountaineers blocking the route ahead of us. Same thing on dierdre, only with nuts.

iain said:

I have found several cairns on various climbs and pack them out. Nice to not have to buy rei cairn kits anymore!

But they're such a good deal! For only $24.99* you get a piece of paper instructing you on not only how to find rocks, but also how to put them on top of each other! They even include pictures! hahaha.gif

* - on sale this week for $30.93